• News Feeds
Page last updated at 09:01 GMT, Wednesday, 10 October 2012 10:01 UK

'Savile abuse going on for 50 years'

Advertisement

Scarborough Borough Council has said the headstone of Sir Jimmy Savile has been removed from his grave overnight at the request of his family.

The TV and radio presenter, who died last year, has been accused of sexually abusing as many as 30 victims during his career.

Mark Williams Thomas, a former child protection expert who presented the ITV programme that revealed the allegations, told Today presenter Sarah Montague that, since the programme was broadcast, a "significant" number of people have contacted him about alleged abuse by Savile, as well as people who knew what was happening.

"This has been going on quite clearly for 50 years" he explained.

"There are people who have been aware of this" he added, and some of these people were in positions of "trust within the media".


Get in touch with Today via email , Twitter or Facebook or text us on 84844.

SEE ALSO

Story Tools

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific