Latest Sports News
CBBC
Academy Parent

Get the newsletter
Your golfing questions answered
Around the Academy:

From the 7 Laws of the Golf Swing
Nick uses revolutionary imagery to teach the game
For the third time golf coach Nick Bradley is on hand to answer your questions.

Nick will be on hand to reply to your queries on a regular basis. So keep your emails coming.

Have your say

This time he deals with grip and practice. The best question each time will receive a copy of his book, The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing.

Chris, 13, Sheffield

Which is the best grip - overlapping or interlocking?

Nick Bradley: Your grip is dependant on your hand size. The interlocking is a strength-inducing grip so if you've got small or weak hands or you need a bit more substance then that's the grip to use.

The overlapping or Vardon is more an experienced golfers grip because it gives you more freedom to play a larger variety of shots. It has more flair to it but less control.

Well done Chris you win a copy of Nick's book for your question.

Dan, 16, Gainsborough

I have an interlocking grip and I do not know what the best position is for my thumbs. I have been told by one golf club to hold them facing down the shaft, and one says let them wrap round the shaft? Which is correct if any?

Colin Montgomerie
Monty regrips to get himself set for the shot

NB: If you are right-handed, your left thumb should be slightly right of the centre of the shaft and your right thumb is the opposite: It should sit slightly left of the centre. The hands should oppose each other slightly.

Colin Montgomerie is someone who grips and re-grips if you watch him. He's always working his hands into one another.

Kristian, 14, Bristol

How can I improve my putting and golf swing at home with out using my clubs?

NB: During the winter you can do basic training to keep you fit and flexible such as sit-ups, press-ups and regular stretching. You can also work on your set-up position and your shoulder turn without a club indoors.

Putting-wise you can put the toe of the putter against the skirting board in your house and run it up and down the skirting board to make sure the path of the putter is square. You can also put a coin on the carpet, three, six and nine foot away and keep putting towards it.

Lenny, 14, Sunbury

NB: For juniors short game can become rather boring with more and more practice so what putting grip would you advise to a junior golfer so they can have a fundamental they can rely on?

The number one thing about juniors and putting is that 99% of the time their putters are too big for them. Get the putter cut down so when your arms hang down freely in the putting position, they can come together in a letter 'Y' shape without bending your arms to fit your hands onto the grip.

There are many grips you can use to putt but the reverse overlap grip is the best. Make sure the handle is high up in the palm of the left hand. Try and spread your hands down the club as long as possible down the grip. It will give your more influence on the club.

Joanne, 16, Leigh-on-Sea

As I want to improve my short game (30 metres from the pin) can you please give me some advice regarding drills to adopt? Also can you recommend a good book that I could obtain from the library covering this aspect of the game?

Ray Floyd
Ray Floyd knows his short game

NB: First of all putting. When you arrive at the golf course don't practise the short putts, go for the long ones first. That way you'll get the speed of the greens. Chipping: Work on our contact by making sure your body weight is ahead of the ball, don't stand too open stand pretty square and work on how different contacts produce different spins on the ball.

For pitching practise hitting pitches from 20, 40 and 60 yards and alternate between the three distances. For a book I'd recommend anything by Ray Floyd or Ernie Els.

Robin, 27, Halifax

As it pertains to the full swing, I have often been confused about what, if anything, I should be doing with my wrists. Do I simply allow them to cock and un-cock or is there some sort of conscious effort taking place?

NB: You want the golf swing to work in as symmetrical fashion as possible and there are three basic positions to practise. First at the address position your arms and club should form the letter 'Y'. Then during the backswing as your left arm hits nine o'clock the club should be fully set making a letter 'L'. Then as you come through the ball and your arms hit three o'clock the club should re-set making a letter 'L' on the other side.

Don't let your hands cock and un-cock naturally, the club should be set and re-set to promote good synchronisation. You should hinge your wrists to begin the swing so you get all the nasty stuff out of the way first. The club should go first, then the hands, then the arms, then the body.

Name

Email address

Town

Your question

Disclaimer: The BBC will put up as many of your comments as possible but we cannot guarantee that all e-mails will be published. The BBC reserves the right to edit comments that are published.

CHAT ::
:: Sport Academy has moved

Competition Rules

Who is Nick Bradley?
Nick took up golf when he was 16 and qualified as a PGA pro aged 20
He is one of only 35 worldwide David Leadbetter certified golf instructors
Nick uses revolutionary imagery to help master the game
He has coached winning players on the men's and ladies' European Tours

INTERNET LINKS >>
:: Nick Bradley Golf

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

RELATED STORIES >>
::

^^ Back to top
© BBC Contact us | Help | About us Disclaimer
Football  |  Cricket  |  Tennis  |  Golf  |  Rugby Union  |  Rugby League  |  Athletics  |  Basketball  |  Swimming
Other Sport  |  In the Gym  |  Healthy Eating  |  Treatment Room  |  Your Blueprint  |  Learning Centre