Mick McCarthy has described the last seven days in the Far East as the worst week of his life.
The Republic of Ireland manager has spent nearly a week under intense media scrutiny after sending home his captain Roy Keane from the World Cup last Thursday.
But he declared on Wednesday that he would emerge from the saga with his pride and reputation intact.
McCarthy said he was happy with the way he had acted after speculation that Keane may have made a dramatic return to the World Cup were ended by a statement from the
midfielder in Dublin on Tuesday.
"I will walk away with my head held high," said McCarthy.
"It's been the worst week of my entire life.
"I regret Roy not being in my team but I have no regrets about anything else.
"I have handled the situation the way I have. I have made mistakes in my career and I will make them again in the future.
"I can't affect what people think about me but I have certainly learnt a lot."
McAteer could win his fitness battle
Keane, who verbally abused McCarthy at a team meeting last week, said in his latest statement that "the damage had been
done" and that he would not return to the squad.
His decision followed suggestions that McCarthy and the other players would welcome Keane back into the fold if he offered a personal apology to the manager.
Meanwhile, midfielder Jason McAteer was back in training on Wednesday.
He is aiming to prove his recovery from a knee injury in time for Ireland's opening group G match against Cameroon on Saturday.
But Mark Kinsella, Keane's likely replacement in central midfield, sat out the session with a minor knee problem.