banner watch listen bbc sport watch listen
Skip to main content Text Only version of this page
BBC
Home
TV
Radio
Talk
Where I Live
A-Z Index
| Help
---------------
---------------
---------------
Languages
Hindi
Urdu
 
CHOOSE A SPORT
BBC News
BBC Weather
BBC Sport Academy
Last Updated:  Tuesday, 11 March, 2003, 16:12 GMT
Fleming searches for silver lining
Lee dismisses Fleming
Fleming bemoaned New Zealand's inability to build partnerships
Skipper Stephen Fleming believes New Zealand were in the running for almost all of their match against Australia, but still allowed their arch-rivals to complete a 96-run win.

Kiwi hopes were high after pace bowler Shane Bond reduced Australia to 84 for seven at one point in the Super Six match.

But the world champions rallied to 208 for nine and Brett Lee's five-wicket haul saw the Black Caps bowled out for just 112 in the 31st over.

"There were some good aspects," Fleming maintained.

"We fought pretty well for 80% of the game but in the other 20% we lost it.

"We were feeling pretty good about ourselves [with Australia 84 for seven] but we've been there before and we just ran out of juice."

Fleming bemoaned his side's failure to put together a significant partnership - his 33-run stand with Chris Cairns for the fourth wicket was the highest.

"Getting a partnership early is the best way to knock off even a small total," he said.

"The pitch was slow but it didn't move about and the pace was adequate for batting later."

New Zealand's main hope of a spot in the semi-finals rests on beating India in their final Super Six match on Friday.

However, they could sneak through if other results go their way.

The Kiwis can take heart from their recent home one-day series against India, which they won 5-2.

But India have become one of the form teams of the tournament, booking a semi-final place with Monday's resounding win over Sri Lanka.

"We played well at home against them and hopefully we can repeat that," said Fleming.




SEE ALSO
Australia impressively beat Kiwis
11 Mar 03 |  Photo Galleries
Full scorecard
11 Mar 03 |  World Cup
Have Your Say on Australia
04 Jan 03 |  Have Your Say
Have Your Say on New Zealand
10 Feb 03 |  Have Your Say


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

Daily e-mail | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

World Cup | Fixtures & Results | Scorecards | Tables & Averages | Team Pages | History
Have Your Say | Photo Galleries | Test Match Special
Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales
BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us