banner watch listen bbc sport watch listen
Skip to main content Text Only version of this page
BBC
Home
TV
Radio
Talk
Where I Live
A-Z Index
| Help
Last Updated:  Thursday, 20 February, 2003, 11:36 GMT

SA to field more non-whites
By Martin Gough
Exclusive for BBC Sport in South Africa

Monde Zondeki
Monde Zondeki could be in line for an international debut

South Africa will name three non-white players in their team to take on Bangladesh on Saturday as a result of an understanding between the country's cricket board and its government.

BBC Sport believes the policy applies to all three preliminary round games against "minor" nations Kenya, Bangladesh and Canada.

There has been pressure on the United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCB) to reinstate race quotas, scrapped just four months ago at provincial level.

Last year, UCB president Percy Sonn overruled the selectors' XI for the third Test against Australia in Sydney, and black all-rounder Justin Ontong replaced Jacques Rudolph as a result.

And after government pressure, the UCB agreed to select five "players of colour" in the 15-man World Cup squad.

A spokesman for the South African team told BBC Sport that there was no hard and fast rule over team selection in the tournament.

Our objective is to make transformation work, which is an objective the cricket fraternity in South Africa share
South Africa selector Omar Henry

But he said that the three-man policy "would be preferable", depending on injuries and form.

However, chief of selectors Omar Henry insisted the side was being rotated for other reasons.

"When we selected the 15 the objective was to qualify for the second round, and to win it, and that the best way to do that would be to make use of all of the players" Henry said.

"Our objective is to make transformation work, which is an objective the cricket fraternity in South Africa share.

"We have got to make the effort, but not to the detriment of our success as a cricket nation."

Donald replaced

South Africa did replace Allan Donald with Charl Langeveldt for last Wednesday's 10-wicket win over Kenya.

Donald had struggled in the side's opening loss to West Indies, and was again expensive in Sunday's nine-wicket defeat by New Zealand.

But former national coach Bob Woolmer described the decision to omit him against Kenya as "baffling" in a newspaper column on Thursday, saying the out-of-form fast bowler "thrives on bowling".

For his part, captain Shaun Pollock explained after that match: "History shows that Donald is better if he bowls in the middle but this is the route the selectors decided to go."





Links to more South Africa stories


 

WATCH AND LISTEN
BBC Sport's Simon Mann
"South Africa's qualification for the Super Six is back in their hands"


South Africa selector Omar Henry
"To get five players of colour into the squad was a big achievement"



SEE ALSO
SA at loggerheads on quotas
31 Oct 02 |  Cricket
Quotas ruling 'to stay'
16 Oct 02 |  Cricket
SA make U-turn on quotas
11 Jul 02 |  Cricket
Another door closes
02 Jan 02 |  Australia v South Africa


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Daily e-mail | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

World Cup | Fixtures & Results | Scorecards | Tables & Averages | Team Pages | History
Have Your Say | Photo Galleries | Test Match Special
Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales
BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us