BBC SPORT  Commonwealth Games 2002    BBC Sport >>   High Graphics >>
Front Page | Athletics | Swimming | Badminton | Boxing | Cycling | Rugby 7's | Hockey | Gymnastics | Squash | Judo | Other Sports | Features | Sports Talk | BBC Coverage |
Tuesday, 30 July, 2002, 18:57 GMT 19:57 UK

Australia trounce sorry Barbados

Australia 20-1 Barbados

Defending champions Australia showed no mercy as they blitzed the unfortunate Barbados for 20 goals, a new Commonwealth Games record.

The rampant Australians were only held up by torrential rain at Belle Vue which forced the players off for 10 minutes.

Jamie Dwyer, Michael McCann and Craig Victory all scored four apiece and Troy Elder a hat-trick as Australia claimed the record for the most goals scored in any Commonwealth Games match.

The score beat their female counterparts' 18 goals against Malaysia on Monday and was also the largest winning margin.

First goal

The writing was on the wall when the Kookaburras won their first penalty corner after just 27 seconds and Dwyer converted.

There then followed a procession of goals as Dwyer completed his hat-trick, with McCann, Elder (both two) and Scott Webster getting on the scoresheet.

In the second half Victory netted three more, McCann and Matt Smith two each, with Elder, Dwyer, Aaron Hopkins and Brent Livermore all hitting the net.

But the biggest cheer of the evening from the rain-sodden crowd was for Roger Bailey's 52nd-minute penalty corner goal which gave Barbados at least some respectability.

New Zealand 5-2 South Africa

New Zealand's Hayden Shaw struck four times to put his team into a cross-over against Canada.

The 21-year-old Christchurch-born defender is now the tournament's top goalscorer with eight goals from three games and has netted back-to-back hat-tricks.

The winner of the New Zealand-Canada match will meet Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Shaw netted his first with a drag flick from a penalty corner after just three minutes and then drilled home from the penalty spot.

His hat-trick was completed after 25 minutes with another trademark flick from a penalty corner.

South Africa kept the game alive with a penalty corner goal of their own four minutes from half-time from striker and captain Greg Nicol.

But the game was put beyond doubt when captain Simon Towns blasted a superb reverse-stick shot into the roof of the net two minutes into the second half.

Emile Smith pulled a goal back midway through the second but it was nothingmore than a consolation and England now await in the cross-over tomorrow.

Back to top   © BBC