BBC SPORT  Commonwealth Games 2002    BBC Sport >>   High Graphics >>
Front Page | Athletics | Swimming | Badminton | Boxing | Cycling | Rugby 7's | Hockey | Gymnastics | Squash | Judo | Other Sports | Features | Sports Talk | BBC Coverage |
Thursday, 1 August, 2002, 19:23 GMT 20:23 UK

Sweet revenge for Muggeridge

Jo Muggeridge clinched an emotional victory as she teamed up with Felicity Gallup to dump top seeds Sara Sankey and Ella Miles out of the women's badminton doubles.

Muggeridge switched allegiance to Wales five years ago after being dropped from the England team by former manager Stephen Baddeley.

And her pent-up anger spilled over as she and Gallup silenced the crowd at Bolton Arena with a 7-4 7-3 0-7 7-3 third-round win over England's Sankey and Miles.

"When I played for England there were always people behind you wanting the other person to win"
Jo Muggeridge

London-born Muggeridge famously poured a can of fizzy drink over Baddeley, who is now chief executive of the Badminton Association of England.

"I didn't want to lose to the English," she said.

"I won a gold medal for England in Victoria eight years ago but the idiot that runs the BA of E threw me out for no reason.

"It's not true that he threw me out because I tipped a can of Coke over his head. I did that as a last resort.

"I love playing for Wales. It's a lovely team atmosphere, whereas when I played for England there were always people behind you wanting the other person to win."

The shocks continued in the women's event as second seeds Rhona Robertson and Tammy Jenkins of New Zealand lost 7-1 7-8 8-6 7-2 to England's Jo Goode and Gail Emms.

And fourth seeds Sandra Watt and Yuan Wemyss of Scotland suffered a straight sets defeat by unseeded Malaysians Pek Siah Lim and Li Peng Ang.

It left New Zealanders Sara Runesten-Petersen and Nicole Gordon as the only seeded pair left in the last eight.

Speedy victory

There were also casualties in the men's doubles, with fifth seeds Travis Denney and Ashley Brehaut of Australia losing to Tan Fook Choon and Kim Wai Chang of Malaysia.

And England's Simon Archer and James Anderson beat eighth seeds Russell Hogg and Graeme Smith 7-3 7-5 7-5.

Archer and Anderson had taken just six minutes to cruise past Christopher Eynon and Doug Besley-Clark of the Falklands 7-0 7-0 7-1 in the morning session.

They will now meet fourth-seeded Australians Murray Hocking and Peter Blackburn in Friday's quarter-finals.

Third seeds Nathan Robertson and Anthony Clark of England also made the last eight with a straight sets win against Kian Teck Khoo and Yong Joo Chua of Singapore.

Welsh pair Neil Cottrill and Liam Ingram went down 7-3 7-2 7-5 to number six seeds Valiyaveetil Diju and Thomas Sanave of India.

And fellow Welshmen Martyn Lewis and Mathew Hughes were swept aside 7-2 7-1 7-0 by Malaysian top seeds Choon Chew and Chong Ming Chan.

Northern Ireland's Eugene McKenna and Graham Henderson had earlier gone down 8-6 3-7 7-3 7-1 in the second round to Hogg and Smith.

And Scotland's Alastair Gatt and Craig Robertson were no match for Daniel Shirley and John Gordon, the second seeds from New Zealand, who won 7-1 7-1 7-2.

Back to top   © BBC