Commonwealth Games 2002
You are in: Hockey  
Front Page 
Rugby 7's 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
BBC Coverage 
Photo Galleries 
Event Guide 
Venue Guide 
Stars to Watch 

Play Denise Lewis Heptathlon BBC Sport

BBC Weather

BBC News

Hockey Tuesday, 30 July, 2002, 18:57 GMT 19:57 UK
Australia trounce sorry Barbados
Troy Elder
Troy Elder hit a hat-trick for Australia
Australia 20-1 Barbados

Defending champions Australia showed no mercy as they blitzed the unfortunate Barbados for 20 goals, a new Commonwealth Games record.

The rampant Australians were only held up by torrential rain at Belle Vue which forced the players off for 10 minutes.

Jamie Dwyer, Michael McCann and Craig Victory all scored four apiece and Troy Elder a hat-trick as Australia claimed the record for the most goals scored in any Commonwealth Games match.

The score beat their female counterparts' 18 goals against Malaysia on Monday and was also the largest winning margin.

First goal

The writing was on the wall when the Kookaburras won their first penalty corner after just 27 seconds and Dwyer converted.

There then followed a procession of goals as Dwyer completed his hat-trick, with McCann, Elder (both two) and Scott Webster getting on the scoresheet.

In the second half Victory netted three more, McCann and Matt Smith two each, with Elder, Dwyer, Aaron Hopkins and Brent Livermore all hitting the net.

But the biggest cheer of the evening from the rain-sodden crowd was for Roger Bailey's 52nd-minute penalty corner goal which gave Barbados at least some respectability.

New Zealand 5-2 South Africa

New Zealand's Hayden Shaw struck four times to put his team into a cross-over against Canada.

Hayden Shaw
Shaw led his team into a cross-over with Canada

The 21-year-old Christchurch-born defender is now the tournament's top goalscorer with eight goals from three games and has netted back-to-back hat-tricks.

The winner of the New Zealand-Canada match will meet Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Shaw netted his first with a drag flick from a penalty corner after just three minutes and then drilled home from the penalty spot.

His hat-trick was completed after 25 minutes with another trademark flick from a penalty corner.

South Africa kept the game alive with a penalty corner goal of their own four minutes from half-time from striker and captain Greg Nicol.

But the game was put beyond doubt when captain Simon Towns blasted a superb reverse-stick shot into the roof of the net two minutes into the second half.

Emile Smith pulled a goal back midway through the second but it was nothingmore than a consolation and England now await in the cross-over tomorrow.

Review the action

Expert verdicts

Manchester features

Have your say

Internet links
Links to more Hockey stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Hockey stories

© BBC ^ Back to top

Front Page | Statistics

Athletics | Swimming | Badminton | Boxing | Cycling
Rugby 7's | Hockey | Gymnastics | Squash | Judo | Other Sports

Features | Sports Talk | BBC Coverage | Photo Galleries

Event Guide | Venue Guide | Stars to Watch | Nations | Quiz