FIVE FACTS ABOUT A QUESTION OF SPORT.
1. The first edition of A Question of Sport was transmitted at 6.20pm on Monday 5th January 1970 with David Vine presenting. In the first show team captains Henry Cooper and Cliff Morgan were joined by George Best, Ray Illingworth, Lillian Board and Tom Finney.
2. More than 1,000 sporting personalities have appeared on the programme in its 32 year history lead by 12 resident captains.
3. In three decades the show has had just three presenters. David Vine hosted for five years before David Coleman took over. He presented 376 shows and in November 1997 the present incumbent Sue Barker took charge.
4. Among the many team captain pairings down the years some of the most enduring involved Willie Carson and Emlyn Hughes, Bill Beaumont and Ian Botham, John Parrott and Ally McCoist and now Ally and Frankie Dettori.
5. A Question of Sport celebrated its 200th edition with a programme that included Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal. It was watched by 18 million viewers. In 1999 and 2001 the show won the prestigious Royal Television Society Sports Entertainment Programme of the Year Award.