BBC Home > BBC Sport > Newcastle

Bosses question Alan Pardew taking Newcastle United job

10 December 10 00:02 GMT

Alan Pardew has admitted that other managers have questioned his decision to become the new boss at Newcastle.

The Magpies, who controversially sacked Chris Hughton on Monday, have used seven different managers over the last five-and-a-half years.

"I've had a lot of texts from managers saying 'you must be mad going there'," said Pardew, 49, on Thursday.

"But it's one of the top five clubs in England. It's a daunting prospect but something I couldn't turn down."

At a St James' Park news conference to introduce Pardew as Newcastle's new manager, the former Reading, West Ham, Charlton and Southampton boss admitted that he will have to work hard to replace popular Hughton in the minds of supporters and the players.

"The problem I'm going to have initially is the players," he said.

"I need to get my message across quickly and with clarity so as not to get any resentment at a time when they are doing reasonably well.

"The battles I need to win are on the pitch. I understood what was going to happen if I took the job."

Pardew signed a five-and-a-half year contract, with the length of the deal itself making headlines given owner Mike Ashley's hiring-and-firing record in recent years.

"I wanted to be tough on the length of contract and give myself as much stability at a club that hasn't had much stability with managers," added Pardew, who also stressed that he had been assured star striker Andy Carroll would not be sold.

"Managers have come and gone here. It doesn't bode well so I'm trying to say I will work as hard as I possibly can here to get a situation where I can bring some longevity to the job.

"I represent the fans. I'm an employee of the club, but I'll be knocking on the door trying to get the maximum funds I can to make the club the best it can be.

"I've never had a problem with that in the past. In the past I have convinced owners to have faith and trust in me to invest.

"I can't really put my finger on where there's a problem in the team, or in the squad [at the moment]. I have to assess the squad, see what we've got. I want to look at the young developing players and see who will threaten the first team."

Pardew is determined to keep hold of Carroll and was quick to end speculation that the 21-year-old England striker could be sold in the January transfer window to bolster the new manager's transfer kitty.

"Andy Carroll was at the top of my list of questions because he needs to stay," stressed Pardew, who will also be hoping he can persuade out-of-contract defender Steven Taylor to stay at St James' Park.

"This club has been crying out for another number nine and he looks like he's fitting the bill, so I made it very clear that he needs to stay."

In addition to being on the ball when the transfer market reopens, Pardew has also underlined the importance of bringing players through Newcastle's academy into the first team.

"Some of the most successful sides [in the word], like Barcelona, have created players from within," he continued.

"If we're not doing that, we need to make sure we are more proactive

"In my career I have also been creative with transfers, such as taking [current Chelsea] Yossi Benayoun for a small fee."

Pardew acknowledged that keeping Newcastle in the Premier League is his initial goal, but stressed that was not the limit of his ambition for this season.

"The brief for me would be to consolidate and stay in the division," he said.

"But there's an opportunity this year...the Premier League is so close. We're in a great position for a team that's just been promoted but we've got to kick on."

Share this

Related BBC sites

*