Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
banner Wednesday, 21 November, 2001, 22:28 GMT
Q&A: Trent Barrett
Put your questions to the Aussie rugby league star
Australian rugby league star Trent Barrett was on hand to answer your e-mails ahead of Saturday's Ashes rubber.

• real 14k Click here to listen to Trent

Prior to their heavy defeat at Bolton's Reebok stadium, hopes were high that Great Britain could end their 31-year wait for Ashes glory.

As usual, Australia were on hand to spoil the Lions' party, and set up an all-or-nothing clash in Wigan.

Hoping to ensure that the Ashes stay in Australian hands is Kangaroo stand-off Trent Barrett.

And the Aussie ace joined us ahead of the game to answer your e-mails.

• real 14k Click here to listen to Trent

A selection of your e-mails appear below

Dan Colbourne, England

How do you prepare yourself individually and collectively in the moments before a big game? Do you have certain words ringing in your ears from the coach or isn't there much talking?

Normally we stay pretty relaxed and try not to think about it. I try not to get too nervous; obviously these types of games are more important so I get a little bit nervous.

Anderson doesn't have too much to say. We do most of work during the week and game day he sort of leaves us alone. We've been playing long enough to know what we need to go out and do.

Orellis Man, England

What do you think was the difference between the two sides on Saturday? Where do you see the third Test being won and lost?

All games are won and lost in the fords. I felt we controlled the ball a lot better in the second Test compared with the first game.

Mark Jagan, Warrington, UK

Which Great Britain player has surprised you most during the series and do you fancy a crack at Super League at some stage in your career?

I think the strength of a lot of the players was a surprise. They are a very big squad and you can't really single any one player out. Andy Farrell is a great player and he's always a handful when he's got the ball.

As for the Super League, I'm not looking at it this stage in my career but maybe when I'm a bit older I would look at coming over for a couple of years.

Paul, Australia

How does the team deal with the local press in England? It seems every Australian side that tours these days is sledged from the moment they step off the plane. Do you read the papers and have a laugh, or does it serve as motivation?

Sometimes it can serve as motivation. We try not to read too many of the papers. We don't have that much time on our hands and I don't read that many papers. I'm sure if the GB guys were out in Australia they would get the same treatment.

•  WATCH/LISTEN
     ON THIS STORY
    Trent Barrett
    Answers your e-mails
    Links to more Forum stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Forum stories

^^ Back to top