Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 17 July, 2001, 11:58 GMT 12:58 UK
You quizzed Greg Rusedski
BBC Sport Online gave you the chance to quiz tennis star Greg Rusedski.

• real 56k Click here to watch

After a promising start at Wimbledon, Greg Rusedski was knocked out by eventual champion Goran Ivanisevic.

Having fallen victim to injury last year, the British number two has fought his way back to form and fitness.

Rusedski answered your questions on Wimbledon, his career so far, and tennis in general.

• real 56k Click here to watch

Alex Allen, England

Does being beaten by the eventual champion at Wimbledon make your loss any easier and will you come back a better player because of it?

I think I definitely will. You learn from every experience and I've always struggled with Ivanisevic. My serving percentage wasn't good enough and I think Goran played a fantastic match. I have to give credit where credit's due, but you learn from these things. As I've been saying to everybody, I wouldn't have put a wager on myself this year, but I think next year is the year for me. 2002 is my chance at doing well at championships and maybe going further than I did in 2001.

It does help a little bit in the respect that I lost to the eventual champion. But on the other hand I think that maybe if I'd played a little bit better that could've been me. I think it's nice to see Goran win. He's been in the final three times and lose a fourth would have been heartbreaking for him. It was a wonderful final with all the Australian and Croatian fans. I was almost praying that Goran would win it, because to lose three times would have been so difficult to deal with.

Nathan Williams, England

Do you think you peaked too early at Wimbledon, because I thought that the match against Byron Black was your finest performance in probably two years? Do you agree?

I don't think I peaked too early, but you have to play really well throughout if you're going to win. It also comes down a little bit to the luck of the draw as well, and I just didn't raise my level against Ivanisevic. That's just the way tennis is. You have to play well for seven matches like Richard Krajicek did when he broke Pete Sampras' run of Wimbledon victories.

Tim (Henman) had a fantastic chance to beat Goran at 2-1 up, and I think the weather hurt him a little bit. I didn't see the match but I heard it was delayed over three days. I think if the weather had held when he was 2-1 up he would most likely have been in the final. But that's the way Wimbledon is - that's what makes it exciting. You never know what the weather's going to be like or what's going to happen. It's obviously a difficult loss for him but I'm sure he'll come back better next year.

Kiran, London

Is there any promising British talent coming through the ranks? Where will the next Greg Rusedski or Tim Henman come from?

I thinks it's very difficult to say. Lee Childs, the 19-year-old is doing very well, and Martin Lee had some good performances this summer. But I don't see right now someone who's going to be in the top ten or 20 - for now it would be nice to see someone get into the top 100. There's a big gulf right now and hopefully that will be filled soon.

Who was your favourite player when you were younger?

TJ, UK

My favourite player was McEnroe, just because of the way he played - his flair, his style, his feel. His antics on the court were also very entertaining, and he was a great player.

Allan Dowker, UK

If you were given the job of progressing tennis in the UK what areas would you like to see changed? Can a young Briton win a Grand Slam tournament under the present system?

I thinks it's very difficult. You've got to get into the inner cities and give all sorts of people chance - make it affordable. It's a very expensive sport. You also have to bring families together and get them involved, because I think parents play a key role with their children. There has to be a community sort of feel. You have get kids involved that would otherwise go and play football. So those are three areas that have to be improved if we're going to have someone coming through as Wimbledon champion.

Pete, London

Do you find being left-handed makes you harder to play against?

I think it's a big advantage. Two lefty's playing together is quite an odd match-up because they don't like each other. But in general being left-handed definitely helps, because on the biggest points - game point or break point - you can slide it out wide or you can hit the 'T', and you can really take your opponent off the court with the slice. So it is definitely an advantage.

One of my fellow left-handers Barry Cowan did very well at Wimbledon. It was great to see him win his first match there, and he played really well against Sampras. Sampras was dominating the third set, but Barry hung in there and had a great chance in the fifth. So it was a great result for him.

Andy, UK

How far do you think you can go in your career, and what are your aims for the year ahead?

The US Open is the next big challenge. I've been to the final there and I always love playing at Flushing Meadows. I'm really excited, as it's the first hard court season I've been going into feeling fit and healthy. I think that 2002 could be my best year ever. I'm still in the building process, but I'm really looking forward to the US Open. I'm hoping for a really good run in the hard court season and some good results.

Christine, UK

How are preparations going for the Davis Cup match with Ecuador, and how confident are you of victory?

It's a very important tie for us because if we win that one we go back to the world group. It was a little embarrassing when we lost to Ecuador at Wimbledon on grass. Nicholas Lapente's brother Giovanni played a very good match against Arvind Parmer - coming from 2-0 down in the deciding rubber to win in five sets. It's going to be a tough time. I think were playing in a bull-ring with loud spectators, and on clay. But if Tim and I, and whoever else Roger Taylor picks are healthy then I think we have a good chance to win.

It's very important to get back in the world group. It brings kids along to the matches and makes it cheaper for people to come and watch. You get a loud crowd and people are allowed to scream and shout as much as they like. I think youngsters enjoy that.

• Links to more Forum stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Forum stories

^^ Back to top