BBC Sport rugbyunionwelsh


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 09:21 GMT, Saturday, 26 June 2010 10:21 UK

New Zealand 29-10 Wales

New Zealand (13) 29
Tries: Jane, Cruden Cons: Carter, Kahui Pens: Carter 5
Wales (3) 10
Try: Roberts
Con: Jones Pen: Halfpenny

Jamie Roberts goes over for Wales' try
Jamie Roberts goes over for Wales' first try against New Zealand since 2006

New Zealand stretched their winning run over Wales to 23 games across 57 years with a hard-fought win in the second Test at Waikato Stadium, Hamilton.

The hosts led 13-3 at the break after a try from Cory Jane converted by Dan Carter, who kicked 17 points overall.

Wales rallied well in arguably their best display on Kiwi soil with centre Jamie Roberts crossing for a late try.

But the All Blacks had the last word as replacement Aaron Cruden scored their second try, converted by Richard Kahui.

If the margin of defeat merely equalled Wales' best effort in New Zealand - a 19-0 loss back in 1969 - the tourists at least salvaged some pride after their 42-9 first Test hammering in Dunedin.

Coach Warren Gatland wanted his side to earn the respect of his fellow New Zealanders and they partly achieved that aim by holding their hosts to a 10-point lead at the break, but Carter produced a masterly second-half display to guide the All Blacks home.

Wales made two starting-line up changes for the rematch, with Dan Biggar taking over at fly-half from Stephen Jones and Jonathan Davies replacing injured Andrew Bishop at centre.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry made seven starting changes, most of them through injury as Carter was passed fit and Mils Muliaina returned from a calf injury at full-back.

Wales increased their work-rate from the first match and were superior in the first-half scrums, proving largely adept at slowing down New Zealand's attacking intent.

However, when the All Blacks sniffed a chance, they showed the clinical edge for which they are renowned.

They were patient and poised in the build-up to their first try after 26 minutes.

The home forwards made steady progress towards the Welsh line, coming within five metres of creating a close-range score.

But Jane's chance came as the All Blacks changed the pace and point of attack, sending the ball wide to the left where Jane was one of three Kiwis who could have scored.

Wales had led 3-0 through a Leigh Halfpenny penalty that Carter cancelled out before Jane struck.

Lee Byrne shows his frustration at being sin-binned for a spear tackle
Lee Byrne shows his frustration at being sin-binned for a spear tackle

Carter added the conversion as Wales captain Ryan Jones limped off with a dead leg to be replaced by impressive Scarlet Rob McCusker.

The All Blacks fly-half sent his side into the break with a 10-point advantage after Byrne was sin-binned for a spear tackle on lock Tom Donnelly.

But having taken over the captaincy from number eight Jones and moved into the middle of the back-row, Jonathan Thomas fell foul of indiscipline soon after the break.

Thomas's shoulder charge on Brad Thorn earned a warning from referee Jonathan Kaplan and gave Carter the chance to extend the All Blacks' lead, which he took.

When Alun Wyn Jones failed to release at a tackle, Carter sent another kick between the sticks while Wales were left in no doubt by Kaplan that continued offences at the tackle area could lead to bigger sanctions.

Wales went into the final quarter having conceded only one try and attempting to take the game to the hosts.

Their chances up to that point had been rare, with Jones's replacement McCusker making one half-break that ended when he and lock Wyn Jones collided.

Scrum-half Mike Phillips departed 14 minutes from the end having made some inroads into the All Blacks defence. Likewise Biggar took on the All Blacks, but found the hosts' defence too powerful.

Flanker Gavin Thomas and Kiwi replacement Sam Whitelock were sin-binned in the 69th minute, the Welshman for punching the lock who had illegally held him at a maul.


New Zealand then replaced talisman Carter with Cruden and Wales soon launched their most impressive attack that ended with centre Roberts unable to touch down after going over the line backwards.

Fellow centre Jonathan Davies made a hash of their best chance, going alone with Roberts among three supporting runners before being halted and spilling the ball with the line at the visitors' mercy.

Wales continued to press with scrum-half replacement Richie Rees, Roberts and Halfpenny all going close before Roberts went over out wide - but it was only Wales' 15th try against the All Blacks since their last win in Cardiff in 1953.

Roberts's score was also Wales' first since Martyn Williams went over against New Zealand in 2006.

And the All Blacks had the final word as Carter's replacement Cruden went over in response to Wales' strong finish - their 98th try in games between them since Wales last won - and Richard Kahui converted.

Cruden benefited as Byrne slipped while diving to ground the ball as Cruden grubber-kicked ahead after skipper McCaw, setting a record of 40 wins as an All Blacks captain, charged upfield to set up the chance.

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina (Chiefs); Cory Jane (Hurricanes), Richard Kahui (Chiefs), Benson Stanley (Blues), Zac Guildford (Crusaders); Daniel Carter (Crusaders), Jimmy Cowan (Highlanders); Tony Woodcock (Blues), Keven Mealamu (Blues), Neemia Tialata (Hurricanes), Brad Thorn (Crusaders), Tom Donnelly (Highlanders), Jerome Kaino (Blues), Richie McCaw (capt, Crusaders), Kieran Read (Crusaders).
Replacements: Aled de Malmanche (Chiefs, for Mealamu, 71), Sam Whitelock (Crusaders, for Read 63), Adam Thomson (Highlanders, for Donnelly 48), Piri Weepu (Hurricanes, for Cowan 48), Aaron Cruden (Hurricanes, for Carter 71), Rene Ranger (Blues, for Stanley 55).
Not Used: Owen Franks (Crusaders).

Sin Bin: Whitelock (70).

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Tom Prydie (Ospreys); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Gavin Thomas (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).
Replacements: Huw Bennett (Ospreys, for Rees 66), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Deiniol Jones (Cardiff Blues, for B Davies 56), Rob McCusker (Scarlets for R Jones 26), Richie Rees (Cardiff Blues, for Phillips 66), Stephen Jones (Scarlets, for Biggar 72), Will Harries (Newport Gwent Dragons, for Prydie 69).
Not Used: Mitchell.

Sin Bin: Byrne (40), G. Thomas (70).

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa).

Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), James Leckie (Australia).

Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia).

Print Sponsor

see also
NZ 'there for taking' - Phillips
26 Jun 10 |  Welsh
Gatland wants better discipline
26 Jun 10 |  Welsh
New Zealand 42-9 Wales
19 Jun 10 |  Welsh
Wales' NZ tour in photos
26 Jun 10 |  Welsh
Wales' rugby fixtures
26 Jun 07 |  Welsh
Wales rugby results archive
15 Oct 03 |  Welsh
All Blacks magic: New Zealand rugby
21 Oct 08 |  Rugby Union
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales
Rugby union positions guide
05 Feb 07 |  Laws & Equipment

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER SPORT SITES Rugby Union: New Zealand 29-10 Wales | Test match report - 3 hrs ago
Sky Sports Carter cuts down Wales again - 3 hrs ago
Mail Online UK New Zealand 29 Wales 10: Dan Carter guides All Blacks to series triumph - 8 hrs ago
Sporting Life ALL BLACKS SEAL SERIES WIN - 9 hrs ago
ONE News All Blacks stutter to Welsh win - 9 hrs ago