BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:18 GMT, Friday, 26 September 2008 21:18 UK

Dragons 11-9 Edinburgh

Dragons (11) 11
Tries: Fussell. Pens: Connor 2.

Edinburgh (6) 9
Pens: Paterson 3

Wing Richard Fussell squeezes in for the Dragons' try
Wing Richard Fussell squeezes in for the Dragons' try

Newport Gwent Dragons held on to win their second game in a row in a scrappy and tense Magners League match against Edinburgh at Rodney Parade.

Wing Richard Fussell's 21st-minute try ultimately proved the difference, with Shaun Connor adding two penalties.

Full-back Chris Paterson kept Edinburgh in touch with three penalties to earn a losing bonus point.

But Phil Godman and then David Blair were wide with drop-kicks that would have snatched victory for the Scots.

Paterson set Edinburgh on their way with a sixth-minute penalty when the Dragons were penalised for dropping the scrum.

But Connor eased the Dragons ahead with two kicks, the second a hefty 45-metre effort after Edinburgh wing Mark Robertson was penalised for not releasing.

Edinburgh thought they had a try when Andrew Turnbull raced through, only for referee Peter Fitzgibbon to call them back adjudging that Hugo Southwell's pass in the build-up had drifted forward.

Instead it was the Dragons who crossed the whitewash successfully as Gareth Wyatt and Phillip Dollman conjured space for Fussell to squeeze in at the corner.

Connor missed the tricky conversion and a second Paterson penalty trimmed the Dragons' half-time lead to 11-6, although the full-back was also wide with a drop-goal attempt.


The second period was nervy and tense, with Paterson's 49th-minute kick leaving the match poised on a knife-edge.

The Dragons wasting several good openings to stretch their lead as both wing Fussell and full-back Dollman went close.

Edinburgh could, perhaps should, have made the hosts pay, but first Godman and then replacement David Blair were wide with drop-goals.

In the end it was down to the Dragons pack to shepherd the Welsh side home, the forwards driving patiently into Edinburgh territory to keep the ball under control and the win in the bag.

Dragons: Phillip Dollman; Gareth Wyatt, Rory Sidey, Ashley Smith, Richard Fussell; Shaun Connor, Wayne Evans; Adam Black, Tom Willis (capt), Rhys M. Thomas, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Joe Bearman, Richard Parks, Grant Webb.
Replacements: Steve Jones, Hugh Gustafson Gustafson for Black (61), Andrew Hall A. Jones (61), Jamie Ringer Ringer for Parks (71), Rhodri Gomer Davies, Jason Tovey for Connor (54), Thomas Isaacs.

Edinburgh: Chris Paterson; Andrew Turnbull, Hugo Southwell, Nick De Luca, Mark Robertson; Phil Godman, Greig Laidlaw; Allan Jacobsen, Ross Ford, Geoff Cross, Craig Hamilton, Jim Hamilton, Matt Mustchin, Alan MacDonald, Allister Hogg (capt).
Replacements: Andrew Kelly for Ford (71), Gavin Kerr, Ben Gissing Gissing for J. Hamilton (50), Scott Newlands, Ben Meyer Meyer for Laidlaw (65), David Blair for Godman (71), Jim Thompson for Robertson (49).

Att: 4,676

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland).

Print Sponsor

see also
Magners Celtic League 2008/9
11 Aug 08 |  Rugby Union
Magners League table
09 Aug 06 |  Tables
Celtic rugby archive
07 Jul 03 |  Welsh
BBC Sport Wales coverage
23 Mar 08 |  Wales
BBC Sport NI coverage
03 Jul 08 |  Northern Ireland
BBC Scotland programme guide
26 Jul 09 |  Scotland

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites