Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 7 November, 2003, 21:00 GMT
Warriors survive late scare
Warriors try-scorer Gareth Wyatt is congratulated by Emyr Lewis
Celtic Warriors (17) 29
Tries: Wyatt, Horsman
Cons: N Jenkins (2)
Pens: N Jenkins (5)
Glasgow (10) 23
Tries: A Bulloch, Pinder
Cons: Howarth, Parks
Pens: Howarth, Parks
Drop Goal: Hall
Att: 1,500
Warriors 29-23 Glasgow

Celtic Warriors survived a late fight-back from visitors Glasgow to record their fourth Celtic League win of the season.

The home side led by 13 points with less than 20 minutes to go, but an Alan Bulloch try and accurate goal kicking meant the Warriors had to sweat until the final whistle.

Chris Horsman and Gareth Wyatt crossed for the home side, and the ever dependable Neil Jenkins landed five penalties and two conversions.

Glasgow made a storming start when David Millard's clean break created a try for scrum-half Sam Pinder, which Calvin Howarth converted in front of the posts.

The Warriors took the lead after 15 minutes when Horsman's converted try was added to Jenkins' earlier penalty.

But the lead lasted only a few seconds. Straight from the kick-off, the home side were penalised for obstruction and Howarth kicked the three points.

The visitors pilled on the pressure for a long period around the half-way hour mark, but some determined defending got the Warriors off the hook.

And five minutes before the break, the sparse crowd at the Brewery Field were on their feet as winger Wyatt grabbed his fourth league try of the season.

A quickly taken line-out caught the Glasgow players napping, and the pacey winger raced clear form the halfway line.

A surprise dropped goal from lock Andy Hall early in the second half brought Glasgow back to within five points at 17-13, but the Warriors opened up a commanding 13 lead thanks to three penalties from Jenkins.

The Warriors seemed to be in total control as the game went off the boil, but Rory Kerr's incisive break created Bullock's late score.

Replacement fly-half Daniel Parks kicked the conversion to ensure a tense finale.

But yet more Glasgow infringement presented Jenkins with another opportunity to settle the home nerves in the 74th minute - and he made no mistake.

Parks added a penalty of his own in the fourth minute of injury time, but the Warriors held on despite the referee finding an extra four minutes of play.

Warriors: Emyr Lewis; Gareth Wyatt, Shaun James, Leigh Thomas, Aisea Havili; Neil Jenkins, Paul John; Geraint Morris, Matt Rees, Chris Horsman, Deiniol Jones, Nathan Budgett, Mark Lewis, Richard Parks, Cory Harris.
Replacements: Chris Balshen, Martyn Jones, Huw Alford, Maama Molitika, Alan Chiltern, Matt Nuthall, Richard Mustoe.

Glasgow: Rory Kerr; David Millard, Gareth Maclure, Alan Bulloch, Sean Lamont; Calvin Howarth, Sam Pinder; Euan Murray, Scott Lawson, Lee Harrison, Andy Hall, Nathan Ross, Andrew Wilson, Donnie Macfadyen, Paul Dearlove (capt).
Replacements: Fergus Thomson, Chris Birchall, Joe Beardshaw, Rory McKay, Mark McMillan, Daniel Parks, Jon Steel.

Referee: Tony Redmond (Ireland)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport