Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 20 February, 2004, 21:15 GMT
Borders 24-10 Edinburgh
Allan Jacobsen tackles Borders' Tanner Vili
Borders (14) 24
Tries: Stewart 2, Sititi
Cons: Morton 3
Pen: Morton
Edinburgh (7) 10
Try: Jacobsen
Con: Warnock
Pen: Warnock
Att: 1,800
Jono Stuart was the hero for second-bottom Borders as they deservedly won their Celtic League derby.

The 28-year-old centre scored two tries at Netherdale on his comeback from a lay-off enforced by concussion.

A try from Allan Jacobsen, converted by Alistair Warnock, who also contributed a penalty, gave Edinburgh hope.

But a penalty by Gareth Morton, who also scored three conversions, and another try from Semo Sititi meant the Borders were always in control.

Borders had made three changes, Stuart, Andy Rennick and Gary Armstrong coming in with Cammie Murray injured and Tony Walker and Iain Fairley dropping to the bench.

Edinburgh, hit more by international call-ups, also made three changes, Andrew Kelly, Craig Smith and Ben Fisher replacing Dougie Hall, Joel Brannigan and Andrew Dall.

The home side raced off to the ideal start with a score that underlined Stuart's power and determination.

He literally carried marker Warnock across the line from 15 metres out.

Edinburgh should have clawed back at least five points when skipper Graeme Burns raced clear.

But the chance was wasted when he passed straight to Borders' Dan Kane almost under the crossbar.

Borders made the most of their reprieve by claiming another try.

Winger Nikki Walker did the initial damage with a sprint into enemy territory - then Stuart was on hand to finish in style.

Morton confidently landed his second conversion to open up a useful 14-point gap.

Edinburgh rallied before the interval as prop Jacobsen was driven over in stoppage time for a try, goaled by Warnock.

Morton eased the Borders jitters by firing over a penalty for handling in a ruck - then Edinburgh suffered a further setback when Jacobsen was yellow-carded for blocking a tap-penalty.

Warnock kept Edinburgh in the picture with a penalty, only for Sititi to effectively end the contest with home try number three, converted by Morton.

Borders: Morton, N. Walker, Stuart, Utterson, Moir, Vili, Armstrong, Dunlea, Scott, Cross, MacLeod, Stewart, Rennick, Sititi, Kane.
Replacements: Landels, Todd, Weir, T. Walker, Fairley, Laidlaw, MacRae.

Edinburgh: Southwell, Sharman, Di Rollo, Dey, Joiner, Warnock, Burns, Jacobsen, Kelly, Smith, Pike, Kellock, Harrison, Fisher, Martyn.
Replacements: D. Hall, Brannigan, McIntosh, Capaldi, Lawson, Monro, Clapperton.

Referee: Neil Ballard (WRFU)

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport