Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Friday, 13 October 2006, 20:22 GMT 21:22 UK
Munster 10-21 Edinburgh
Edinburgh's Phil Godman is tackled by Trevor Halstead
Edinburgh's Phil Godman is tackled by Trevor Halstead in Limerick

Munster (3) 10
Tries: Leamy
Cons: Hickey
Pens: Hickey

Edinburgh (14) 21
Tries: Dickinson, Paterson, Webster
Cons: Paterson 3

Edinburgh scored three tries as they defeated a below-par Munster in Friday night's Magners League encounter at Thomond Park.

Alasdair Dickinson and Chris Paterson touched down in the first half to help the Scots to a 14-3 lead at the break.

Scotland winger Simon Webster danced over on 46 minutes before Denis Leamy's converted try gave Munster hope.

Edinburgh held on to make it five games unbeaten while a shoulder injury to Ronan O'Gara added to Munster's woes.

The victory takes Lynn Howell's side up to third in the Magners League.

Worryingly for Munster fans, their Millennium Stadium heroes looked decidedly shaky just over a week before their Heineken Cup visit to Leicester Tigers.

Munster's new captain Paul O'Connell, who was rested as a precaution, and fly half O'Gara, who injured his shoulder after nine minutes, will both have to shake off knocks for that tie.

Edinburgh weathered Munster's early storm - fit-again centre Barry Murphy made two good incisions - in impressive fashion, although O'Gara's replacement Eoghan Hickey did bisect the posts with a 40-metre penalty.

Using the wind to pin Munster back, the visitors almost replied with a try as hooker Dougie Hall was just held up.

The Edinburgh pack kept their heads and suffocating pressure yielded a 21st-minute try for Dickinson, who plunged over from close range. Paterson added the extras.

The lively running of Tomas O'Leary and Ian Dowling came to nothing as Munster's handling let them down and their frustrated forwards were being well contained.

Paterson's opportunistic score, seven minutes before the break, saw him send a delightful chip over Shaun Payne's head, gather the bouncing ball and romp in under the posts and confirm Edinburgh's edge.

The Edinburgh skipper converted his own try, handing his side an 11-point interval lead, and turned Webster's effort into a seven-pointer as the Scots piled on the pressure.

There was no sign of a white flag from Munster as just four minutes later flanker Leamy went over near the posts for Hickey to convert and leave it at 21-10.

Try as they might, the hosts, who remain second-from-bottom in the league, could not find another way to the whitewash and the Scots dug deep to beat Munster for the first time since April 2004.

Munster: Payne, O'Leary, Murphy, Halstead, Dowling, O'Gara, Stringer, Horan, Sheahan, Pucciariello, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Leamy, Wallace, Foley.
Replacements: Mateus for Murphy (66), Hickey for O'Gara (10), Kyriacou for Sheahan (54), Hayes for Pucciariello (52). Not Used: O'Driscoll, McGann, O'Meara.

Edinburgh: Southwell, Paterson, Di Rollo, Dewey, Webster, Godman, Blair, Jacobsen, Hall, Dickinson, Mustchin, Murray, Strokosch, MacDonald, Callam.
Replacements: Hodge for Dewey (54), Laidlaw for Blair (80), Hewett for Jacobsen (62), Kelly for Hall (73), Pringle for Mustchin (75). Not Used: Smith, Cross.

Referee: Phil Fear (WRU).

Attendance: 7,000.



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us