BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:36 GMT, Friday, 8 October 2010 21:36 UK

Glasgow Warriors 21-13 Dragons

Max Evans is challenged by Dragons' Mathew Jones and William Harries
Max Evans is challenged by Dragons' Mathew Jones and William Harries

Glasgow Warriors (16) 21
Tries: Morrison, Thomson. Cons: Jackson Pens: Jackson 3
Dragons (10) 13
Tries: Hughes Cons: M Jones Pens: M Jones 2

Glasgow claimed revenge for September's Magners League defeat at Rodney Parade, opening their Heineken Cup campaign with a home win over the Dragons.

The visitors' first foray into the Warriors' 22 produced a try when wing Adam Hughes crashed over the line, then Matthew Jones scored the conversion.

Ruaridh Jackson kicked three penalties in quick succession for Glasgow.

Then Graeme Morrison and Fergus Thomson tries sealed the win for the home side in front of a noisy Firhill crowd.

With just six points from their first five Magners League matches, the Heineken Cup represented a chance for Sean Lineen's Warriors to get off to a strong start in a different tournament.

And although they had some shaky spells, Glasgow's pace behind the scrum always had the visitors in trouble.

The two teams know each other well and the Dragons defence soaked up wave after wave of Glasgow attacks until finally a penalty took Dragons downfield where they collected a simple score.

Andrew Coombs and Scott Morgan made in-roads down the left, the ball was switched to midfield, Warriors defence edged in and, when the ball reached Hughes, the wing crashed over unopposed.

Jones slotted the conversion and it looked as though the Dragons were again going to do what they had done so often in the past and grind the Warriors pack down until the gaps appeared.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Glasgow number 10 Jackson booted three penalties between the posts as referee Jerome Garces ran out of patience with the Dragons' infringing.

Then, with five minutes of the half remaining, came the score the Warriors had been threatening.


Colin Gregor scorched away and found John Barclay inside him. The Warriors skipper was hauled down inches short but rapidly recycled ball gave Morrison space to go over, giving Jackson a straightforward conversion.

At 16-7 ahead heading towards the break, the Warriors were in control, but a rush of blood to the head gave Jones the chance to bring the margin back to six points at half-time with a simple penalty.

Jones narrowed the margin further with a penalty four minutes into the second half, but then the Dragons were under the cosh for 15 minutes, and only solid midfield defence from Thomas Cheeseman and Ashley Smith kept Max Evans in particular at bay as the Warriors started to put real pace on the game.

Argentine wing Federico Aramburu had gone close a couple of times for the Warriors and from his second dip at the line, quick ball found the Dragons way out of position and hooker Fergus Thomson went over for Glasgow's second try.

Although Jackson missed the conversion, the home side were growing in confidence.

Referee Garces was doing little to endear himself to the Glasgow crowd, but the home side looked to be running the clock down successfully.

Then a Wayne Evans kick left the hobbling Bernardo Stortoni stranded and Glasgow were penned in their own 22 until man-of-the-match Gregor got them out of trouble with a couple of fine clearances.

Jones had a last-minute attempt to salvage the bonus point but the kick fell short, a Dragons final flurry came to nothing and Glasgow had ended their losing streak.

Glasgow Warriors: Stortoni, van der Merwe, M. Evans, Morrison, Aramburu, Jackson, Gregor, Welsh, Thomson, Low, Ryder, Gray, Harley, Barclay, Vernon.
Replacements: Pyrgos for Stortoni (72), Dewey for van der Merwe (78), Weir for Jackson (63), Grant for Welsh (70), Hall for Thomson (63), Kalman for Low (60), Forrester for Ryder (16). Not Used: Muldowney.

Newport-Gwent Dragons: Harries, Hughes, Cheeseman, Smith, A. Brew, M. Jones, W. Evans, Price, S. Jones, Castle, Morgan, Sidoli, Lydiate, Sowden-Taylor, Coombs.
Replacements: Riley for Smith (64), Gustafson for Price (77), Burns for S. Jones (63), Hall for Castle (40), M. Evans for Lydiate (16), L. Evans for Coombs (60). Not Used: A. Jones, Leadbeater.

Referee: Jerome Garces (France).

Print Sponsor

see also
Turner rues Heineken finance gulf
05 Oct 10 |  NG Dragons
Benetton Treviso 20-13 Dragons
01 Oct 10 |  Welsh
Dragons 14-27 Scarlets
24 Sep 10 |  Welsh
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales
RaboDirect Pro12
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Heineken Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Anglo-Welsh Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.