Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 11 August 2007, 15:15 GMT 16:15 UK
Scotland 31-21 Ireland
Scotland's Andy Henderson tries to get free
Henderson caused problems for the Irish defence

Scotland (19) 31
Tries: Henderson 3, Hogg, Murray
Cons: Paterson 2, Parks

Ireland (6) 21
Tries: Boss, Trimble
Cons: Wallace
Pen: Wallace 2, Murphy

Centre Andy Henderson went over for a hat-trick of tries as Scotland held off a second-half Irish fightback to claim victory at Murrayfield.

The Scots had looked in control at the break after tries from Ally Hogg, Henderson and Ewan Murray.

Although Henderson stretched the Scottish advantage early in the second half, Ireland upped their game with Isaac Boss and Andrew Trimble crossing.

But Henderson's third try seven minutes from time sealed the win.

However, there was a worry for Scotland when scrum-half Chris Cusiter had to be helped off in the second half with a foot injury while Shane Horgan is Ireland's main injury concern after being forced to pull out with a knee injury in the warm-up.

Scotland's powerful forward play caused Eddie O'Sullivan's side all sorts of problems in the opening 40 minutes.

Hogg gave his side the perfect start when he opened the scoring with a third-minute try and Chris Paterson, playing at stand-off, added the extras.


Paddy Wallace cut the gap with a penalty but Scotland were in control and full of confidence and it was no surprise that they found themselves on the scoreboard again soon after.

Henderson muscled his way over for his sixth international try and Paterson added a straightforward conversion to make it 14-3.

Geordan Murphy kept Ireland in the game with a penalty two minutes later but the home side continued to press for a third try and Ewan Murray went over two minutes from half-time to put the Scots 19-6 ahead.

Henderson maintained Scotland's momentum with his second try but they seemed to sit back after that, allowing Ireland to come back into the match.

Tommy Bowe's break led to the ball reaching Boss who evaded both Sean and Rory Lamont to score his team's first try of the afternoon and spark Ireland into life.

Trimble then touched down in the 55th minute before Wallace added a penalty to make it 24-21 at the midway point in the second half.

But Ireland were unable to score again and Henderson went over after an offload from Dan Parks to give Scotland their first win in eight games over Ireland.

Scotland: R Lamont; S Lamont, R Dewey, A Henderson, S Webster; C Paterson , M Blair ; A Jacobsen , R Ford , E Murray; N Hines , J Hamilton, J White (C), A Hogg, S Taylor.
Replacements: F Thomson, C Smith, S MacLeod, K Brown, C Cusiter; D Parks; H Southwell.

Ireland: G Murphy; B Carney, B O'Driscoll (C), G Duffy, T Bowe; P Wallace, I Boss; B Young, J Flannery, S Best, P O'Connell, M O'Kelly, N Best, S Ferris, J Heaslip.
Replacements: R Best, J Hayes, A Quinlan, K Gleeson, E Reddan, R O'Gara, A Trimble.

White delight at winning return
11 Aug 07 |  Rugby Union


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us