Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 7 January 2006, 22:34 GMT
Edinburgh 17-18 Munster
Chris Paterson fails to get a clean contact as he falls short with his last-minute penalty
Edinburgh: (7) 17
Tries: Murray, Di Rollo Cons: Paterson 2
Pens: Paterson
Munster: (13) 18 Tries: Halstead, Kelly
Cons: O'Gara
Pens: O'Gara 2
Munster took a big stride towards the Celtic League title by recording a nail-biting win away to Edinburgh.

Munster led 13-7 at the break thanks to Trevor Halstead's try and eight points from Ronan O'Gara, with the hosts managing a try from Scott Murray.

In the second half, John Kelly added to Munster's lead but Marcus Di Rollo then intercepted to score for the hosts.

Chris Paterson converted and added a penalty to make it 18-17 but failed to win the game with a last-minute kick.

Munster opened the scoring when Halstead strode over under the posts after a surging drive by the visitors.

O'Gara converted to make it 10-0 but Edinburgh finally got on the board with half-time approaching when Murray stretched over and Paterson converted.

An O'Gara penalty just before the break edged Munster further ahead and they took what looked like being a decisive lead when they scored a fine try on the hour.

Kelly made the initial incision and, after a flurry of passes saw Shaun Payne held up just short, Kelly was on hand once again to round off the move.

O'Gara's over-ambition then let Edinburgh back into the game as his flat pass was picked off by Di Rollo.

The Gunners' centre romped over under the posts from halfway and Paterson's conversion meant they only trailed by four points with over 15 minutes left to play.

A second penalty, awarded for a trip by Federico Pucciariello on Francisco Leonelli, saw the hosts cut the gap to one point.

And they could have clinched an unlikely victory right at the death.

Paterson was impeded as he followed up a chip but his badly-struck penalty from wide out landed short.

Edinburgh: Southwell; Paterson, Di Rollo, Jorgensen, Leonelli; Godman, Blair; Hewett, Hall, Smith; Kellock, Murray; Hogg, Taylor, Cross.
Kelly, Dickinson, MacDonald, Lawson, Dey, Pyke, Callam.

Munster: Payne; Kelly, Murphy, Halstead, Dowling; O'Gara, Stringer; Pucciarello, Flannery, Hayes; O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Keogh, Wallace.
Replacements: O'Leary, Fogarty, McGovern, Hogan, J. O'Connor, Manning, Connolly.

Referee: Hugh Watkins (Wales).



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport