Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 4 March, 2005, 21:13 GMT
Ulster 30-3 Glasgow
Roger Wilson tries to set up an attack for Ulster
Ulster (3) 30
Tries: S Best, Bowe, Maggs, Howe
Cons: Larkin, Wallace
Pens: Larkin (2)
Glasgow (3) 3
Pens: Howarth
Att: 6,215
Four second half tries gave Ulster an easy win and a bonus point in the Celtic League clash against Glasgow.

It was level at 3-3 at half-time with Calvin Howarth on target for Glasgow and Adam Larkin replying for Ulster.

Simon Best scored Ulster's first try in the 58th minute and further touchdowns followed from Tommy Bowe, Kevin Maggs and Tyrone Howe.

Ulster remain ninth in the table although they have closed to within one point of Connacht.

The visitors, aiming to end a run of nine consecutive away defeats, started with some promise when a threatening 11th minute break from Steve Swindall led to Glasgow's first penalty right under the Ulster posts.

Howarth kicked the three points, but Ulster came back into the game and replied in kind five minutes later, after Paul Shields was held up short of the visitors' line. with Adam Larkin making no mistake with the penalty.

The Ulster fly-half was then wide with a kickable penalty on 19 minutes and, right at the end of the half, Howarth was wide with a long range shot from 38 metres.

Larkin put Ulster in front three minutes after the restart before prop Simon Best barged over for a score, which Larkin converted to give Ulster a 13-3 lead.

They continued to pile on the pressure with a spectacular 50-metre run from Bowe whose score went unconverted.

As Glasgow disintegrated, the home side ran in two more scores.

Maggs bagged the first as Ulster took a quick penalty after Ben Prescott had been sin-binned and the bonus point was grabbed by Howe's try which replacement fly-half Paddy Wallace converted.

Ulster: Cunningham, Bowe, Maggs, Steinmetz, Howe, Larkin, Campbell, McCormack, Shields, S Best, Longwell, McCullough, Feather (capt), N Best, Wilson. Replacements: R Best, Moore, Barker, Ward, Doak, Wallace, S Young.

Glasgow: Shaw, R Lamont, Morrison, Barrow, MacLure, Howarth, Beveridge, Tckachuk, Lawson, Kelly, Hall, Turner, Swindall, Mather, Dearlove. Replacements: Thomson, Prescott, Beardshaw, Wilson, Pinder, Henderson, Logan.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRFU)

Interview: Ulster winger Tommy Bowe



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport