Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 11 December, 2004, 14:46 GMT
Ulster 18-10 Stade Francais
Kieran Campbell scored Ulster's try against Stade Francais
Ulster (8) 18
Tries: Campbell, Humphreys
Con: Humphreys
Pen: Humphreys
Drop goal: Humphreys
Stade Francais (7) 10
Try: Hernandez
Con: Skrela
Drop goal: Skrela
Ulster boosted their Heineken Cup hopes with a crucial home win over pool six leaders Stade Francais.

The Irish province recovered from a bad start to clinch the victory with tries from scrum-half Kieran Campbell and Irish international David Humphreys.

Fly-half Humphreys kicked the rest of Ulster's points with one penalty, one conversion and a long-range drop goal.

Stade had taken a 7-0 lead in the third minute after full-back Juan-Martin Hernandez scored his side's try.

Hernandez ran on to a David Skrela kick to touch down in the left corner.

Skrela added the conversion to give the French side the ideal start.

Ulster got their first points with a Humphreys penalty on 10 minutes but their challenge really sparked into life thanks to a great individual try by Campbell.

This is a big win but it has to be the start of something big
Ulster's Kieran Campbell
The scrum-half tapped a quick penalty just inside his own half and eluded the Stade challenges to run through.

Humphreys, however, missed the relatively simple conversion and Ulster ended the half 8-7 ahead.

Stade came out for the second half determined to hit the ground running but could only manage a Skrela drop goal after sustained pressure on the Ulster line.

After earlier hitting the upright again with a penalty, Skrela pushed another chance wide and Stade's game began to visibly disintegrate.

Two minutes after the hour, Ulster struck a decisive blow. The ball was moved right and Humphreys was put in space on the wing. He made the corner and then added a superb conversion to take it to 15-10 for the home side.

The Ulster fly-half then produced a searing drop goal from over 40 metres to even deny Stade a bonus point they hardly deserved.

Ulster: Cunningham; S Young, Bell, Maggs, Bowe; Humphreys, Campbell; McCormack, Shields, Moore, Longwell, McCullough, Feather (c), Best, Wilson.
Replacements: Brady, B Young, Frost, Mustchin, Doak, Larkin, Steinmetz.

Stade Francais: Hernandez; Bergamasco, Glas, Liebenberg, Poulain; Skrela, Pichot; Roncero, Blin (c), Lemoine, Brouzet, James, Rabadan, Martin, Sowerby.
Replacements: Castola, Montes, Auradou, Jechoux, Sarramea, Quesada, Fillol.

Referee: Nigel Williams (Wales).

Interview: Ulster's Kieran Campbell

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport