Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 6 November 2005, 17:11 GMT
Leinster 13-27 Edinburgh
Edinburgh Gunners flanker Alasdair Strokosch
Leinster: (13) 22:
Tries: Gleeson
Cons: O'Meara
Pen: O'Meara 2
Edinburgh: (10) 27:
Tries: Jorgenson, Pringle, Webster, Strokosch
Cons: Godman 2
Pens: Godman
An injury-time try by flanker Alasdair Strokosch saw Edinburgh chalk up a bonus point on the road after a great second-half showing against Leinster.

Leinster had taken a narrow 13-10 half-time lead with a Keith Gleeson try and eight points from the boot of Brian O'Meara.

But quick strikes by Simon Webster and Fergus Pringle on the restart put the Guenners in control.

Earlier, Peter Jorgensen touched down with Phil Godman kicking seven points.

Without nine of their starters from last Sunday's Heineken Cup win in Glasgow, Leinster struggled in the opening half.

Territorially, the Gunners were on top, although an opportunist try from Leinster captain Gleeson left the Scots trailing at the break.

The visitors, showing eight enforced changes, went in front after 12 minutes when a sweeping backline move put Jorgensen in at the left corner.

Godman, whose long skip pass carved out the opening, brilliantly drilled the conversion over from the touchline.

Godman then screwed a 30 metre penalty wide and fly-half O'Meara, making his 100th appearance for Leinster, regained the province's composure with his first penalty success.

O'Meara closed the gap further with his second penalty four minutes later.

Godman then punished Gleeson for a scrum infringement for a 10-6 lead but the Ireland flanker gained full revenge in first half injury time when he blocked a Godman clearance kick to gather and score Leinster's only try.

O'Meara's conversion handed Michael Cheika's side a three-point buffer for the second half but their lead was blown apart within 16 minutes of the second half.

Lock Pringle loped over, beating two would-be tacklers, for a soft Edinburgh try after 52 minutes and Godman converted.

Four minutes later left wing Webster scooted over past the weak challenge of Robert Kearney for his third try of the league campaign.

Leinster's chances of a revival were killed off as linchpin lock Ben Gissing was sin-binned for a punch on the hour and both O'Meara and his replacement Eoghan Hickey drifted a penalty kick apiece wide.

Godman also screwed a 70th-minute kick wide but Edinburgh were put out of sight when replacement flanker Strokosch bagged the bonus point try in injury-time.

Leinster: Kearney, Brown, Lewis, Hepworth, Burke, O'Meara, O'Riordan, Corrigan, B. Blaney, Green, Gissing, Williams, Jowitt, Gleeson, capt, Crawford.
Replacements: McCormack, Wickham, Dillon, Ronan, Easterby, Hickey, Grissing.

Edinburgh: Southwell, Pyke, Jorgensen, Dey, Webster, Godman, Blackwood, Jacobsen, Kelly, Smith, Kellock, Pringle, Mustchin, Cross, Callam.
Replacements: Lawrie, Hewett, Strokosch, Rennie, Monro, Hodge, De Luca.

Referee: Neil Ballard (WRU).



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport