BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Rugby Union: International  
Sport Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Saturday, 6 April, 2002, 17:42 GMT 18:42 UK
Scots' late show stuns Wales
James McLaren is held up as he charges for the Welsh line
James McLaren is held up short of the Welsh line
Wales 22-27 Scotland

Two injury-time penalties saw Scotland salvage some Six Nations pride with a tense victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium.

In a see-saw encounter that saw the lead change hands seven times in all, Brendan Laney held his nerve to convert a vital 82nd-minute shot at goal.

It was just reward for the Scots, who just about deserved to edge a mediocre contest after scoring two tries to Wales' one.

A first-half brace from hooker Gordon Bulloch proved decisive as Wales were unable to give scrum half Rob Howley a fitting farewell victory.

Scoring details:
Try: R Williams
Con: Jones
Pens: Jones 5
Tries: Bulloch 2
Con: Laney
Pens: Laney 4, Hodge

Both sides were desperate for a win after disappointing campaigns, with little to cheer other than victories over Italy.

And Howley, playing his last Test before retiring from international rugby, immediately showed his desire to go out on a winning note.

A darting break from the base of a ruck almost sent Andy Moore over for a third minute try, but the lock was held up just short of the Scottish line.

Moore limped off in the 12th minute to be replaced by Chris Wyatt, by which time Stephen Jones had put Wales in front with his first penalty.

Two more followed in quick succession to give the Welsh a 9-0 lead as first Martin Leslie, then Laney, were penalised.

Howley eludes Gregor Townsend's tackle
Howley eludes Gregor Townsend's tackle

A superb 70m movement sparked by the impressive Mark Taylor, involving backs and forwards, suggested Wales were poised to press home their advantage.

But the Scottish pack regained the intitiative with two tries in ten minutes to put the visitors in front by the half-hour.

First Bulloch emerged from underneath a forward rumble to grab the opening try in the 19th minute, once referee Joel Jutge had consulted the television replay.

Laney missed the conversion, but the score galvanised the Scots and wing Chris Paterson might have broken clear after a left-wing break but for a try-saving tackle by Kevin Morgan.

But after producing only four tries in their previous four championship matches, Scotland quickly added a second here in the 29th minute.

Scott Murray rises highest to win a line-out
Murray was a dominant figure at the line-out

A superbly controlled catch-and-drive move from a line-out saw Bulloch driven over again for his second score, Laney adding the extra points for a 12-9 lead.

The New Zealander was narrowly off target with a penalty from half-way shortly afterwards, but a superb strike with the last kick of the half edged the Scots further ahead at the interval.

Scotland began the second half camped in Welsh territory but failed to reward their possession with further points on the board.


Instead, the early introduction of rugby league convert Iestyn Harris after 43 minutes sparked Wales into life.

Harris, sent on at stand-off, weaved his way outside John Leslie before slipping the ball inside for Rhys Williams to touch down three minutes later.

Jones added the extras to put Wales back in front at 16-15, but Laney stroked over a penalty to restore the Scottish lead just before the hour.

But the see-saw nature of the match continued when Scotland prop Tom Smith, after snaffling Welsh ball at the back of a ruck, was penalised for holding on to it too long.

Jones ensured the lead changed hands for the fourth time, before the crowd rose in unison to salute Howley as he trooped off after 66 minutes.

Andy Marinos can't find a way past Simon Taylor
Andy Marinos can't find a way past Simon Taylor
But with a shambolic line-out, where Scott Murray was dominant, Wales struggled to retain set-piece ball and Scotland continued to press hard in the closing stages.

They were rewarded five minutes from time when Laney calmly slotted his third penalty, only for Jones to reply with his fifth after Smith was adjudged to have handled in a ruck.

But as the game entered injury time, replacement Welsh hooker Robin McBryde was penalised and Laney kept his nerve in front of the posts.

He then injured a knee in attempting a drop goal, leaving replacement Duncan Hodge to seal victory with the last kick of the match.

Wales: Morgan; R Williams, Taylor, Marinos (Harris, 43), Morgan (James, 71); Jones, Howley (Peel, 66), I Thomas (John, 57), B Williams (McBryde, 43) Anthony, Gough, Moore (Wyatt, 12), Budgett (Thomas, 40), M Williams, Charvis (capt).

Scotland: Laney (Hodge, 82) ; Logan (Metcalfe, 59), McLaren, J Leslie, Paterson; Townsend, Redpath (capt); Smith, Bulloch, Stewart (Graham, 40), Murray, White (Grimes, 57), M Leslie (Petrie, 71), Pountney, Taylor.
Replacement not used: Beveridge.

BBC Sport's Andy Gillies - BBC Five Live
"A classic match"
Scotland coach Ian McGeechan - BBC Five Live
"A very important win"
Wales coach Steve Hansen
"We know we can play alot better"


Match Reports

Six Nations pundits

In-depth background



Internet links
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more International stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more International stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales