Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 8 January, 2005, 16:49 GMT
Perpignan 33-12 Newcastle
Newcastle fly-half Jonny Wilkinson
Perpignan (9) 33:
Tries: Alvarez (2), Mas, Van der Heever
Cons: Edmonds (2)
Pens: Edmonds 3
Newcastle: (9) 12:
Pens: Wilkinson 4
Att: 11,000
Newcastle and England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson limped off with a knee injury as the Falcons slumped to a heavy defeat in France.

Wilkinson, who has only just returned to action after a lengthy lay-off, was forced to go off after 70 minutes.

Wilkinson and opposite number Manny Edmonds had traded three penalties each in a bruising first half.

But Perpignan showed their power up front with four second-half tries to set up a tense finale in pool five.

The opening period was a tense affair with both sides determined not to give anything away.

And roared on by a passionate Catalan crowd, Perpignan had most of the territory and possession but could not break through the stubborn Newcastle defence.

Their efforts were not dented even though they lost centre Jamie Noon midway through the half through injury.

Wilkinson and Edmonds shared two penalties apiece before Perpignan infringed again when the Falcons made a rare appearance in their 22.

Wilkinson slotted over and Newcastle looked to be heading into the break with a 9-6 lead only for Edmonds to claim another three points in injury time.

The home side were obviously annoyed at not getting the points their dominance deserved and they started the second half in determined mood.

Within three minutes of the re-start they claimed their first try when Alvarez Kairelis rounded off a superb move.

An impressive drive by the forwards gave substitute prop Nicolas Mas a close-range try on 50 minutes to extend Perpignan's lead.

Newcastle did try to get their game going but were not given any chances.
Wilkinson's fourth penalty on 55 minutes reduced the deficit to 12-19, but Perpignan hit back when Alvarez crossed for his second and Newcastle's faint hope of victory disappeared when Wilkinson limped off.

The French side threw everything at Newcastle in the closing stages and a Jan van der Heever try after another powerful forward effort gave the French side a bonus point.

Perpignan: Cermeno, Bomati, Marty, Grandclaude, Luger, Edmonds, Durand, Debaty, Sempere, Chobet, Porcu, Alvarez Kairelis, Le Corvec, Labat, Robertson.
Replacements: Grelon, Mas, Freshwater, Goutta, Loustau, Giannantonio, Manas.

Newcastle: Shaw, May, Tait, Noon, Stephenson, J. Wilkinson, Grindal, Peel, Long, Ward, Gross, Grimes, McCarthy, Charvis, Dowson.
Replacements: Isaacson, Thompson, Buist, Sititi, Walder, Charlton, Mayerhofler.

Referee: Nigel Williams (Wales).

Heineken Cup 2004/5
22 Oct 04 |  European Club
Newcastle 19-14 Perpignan
31 Oct 04 |  European Club

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport