Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 8 January, 2005, 17:11 GMT
Dragons 48-5 Edinburgh
Jason Forster scores his first try against Edinburgh
Dragons (22) 48
Tries: Luscombe, Forster 2, Wyatt 2, Baber, Charteris, Black
Cons: Sweeney (3), Warlow
Edinburgh (5) 5
Try: Pringle
Att: 5,046
The Dragons kept their Heineken Cup qualification hopes alive with a bonus-point win over Edinburgh.

First-half tries from Hal Luscombe, Jason Forster, Gareth Wyatt and Luke Charteris made the game safe.

Forster and Wyatt scored their second touchdowns after the break, with Gareth Baber and Adam Black completing the rout at Rodney Parade.

Edinburgh's only score came in the first half through a try from second row forward Fergus Pringle try.

After Luscombe's and Forster's early openers, the Dragons were gifted a third try when replacement winger Wyatt intercepted Brendan Laney's loose pass and raced 80 meters to score.

Edinburgh struck back in controversial fashion. The Dragons lost possession after centre Sione Tuipulotu seemed to be blocked by Pringle as he chipped forward.

Pringle then ended up taking the final pass to bring some joy to the Scots.

After 29 minutes, powering Dragons second row forward Charteris stole an Edinburgh throw-in on the visitors' line before crashing over to claim the vital fourth try - and with it the Dragons' bonus point.

There was to be no let-up from the Dragons with Forster crossing two minutes after the break for his second try, converted by Sweeney.

Six minutes later Luscombe sent Wyatt away to score with a superb pass - yet the highlight was yet to come for the home fans.

Forster found Charteris at his shoulder and the 6ft 9in forward stretched his legs to race 45 metres to the line before being dragged down.

But scrum-half Gareth Baber was on hand to do the easy bit by picking up and touching down, Sweeney again converting.

Prop Adam Black completed the rout for the Dragons with a try after 79 minutes, this time converted by Sweeney's replacement Craig Warlow.

Dragons: P Montgomery; N Brew, H Luscombe, S Tuipulotu, K Morgan; C Sweeney, G Baber; A Black, S Jones, R Thomas, I Gough, L Charteris, J Ringer, J Forster (capt), M Owen.
Replacements: J Richards, C Anthony, P Sidoli, R Oakley, S Winn, C Warlow, G Wyatt.

Edinburgh: D Lee; M Dey, H Southwell, B MacDougall, P Boston; B Laney, R Lawson; A Jacobsen, A Kelly, C Smith, F Pringle, S Murray (capt), A Strokosch, A Hogg, D Callam.
Replacements: D Hall, A Dickinson, A Kellock, T Blackadder, M Blair, P Godman, C Joiner.

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland).

Heineken Cup 2004/5
29 Jun 04 |  European Club

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport