Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 12 December, 2004, 17:07 GMT
Leicester 35-27 Wasps
Leicester's Harry Ellis dives over for the first try of the match
Leicester (29) 35
Tries: Ellis, Chuter, Lloyd
Con: Goode
Pen: Goode 6
Wasps (13) 27
Try: Voyce, Worsley, Green
Con: Van Gisbergen 3
Pen: Van Gisbergen 2
Leicester defeated defending champions Wasps for the second week in a row after a fierce Heineken Cup clash.

The Tigers raced into an early 19-0 lead thanks to Harry Ellis' try and Andy Goode's excellent goalkicking.

Wasps responded with a try from Tom Voyce, but the Tigers regained control before the break with scores from Leon Lloyd and George Chuter.

Joe Worsley and Will Green's tries gave Wasps hope, but Goode's goalkicking ensured Leicester held on for the win.

As in last week's epic encounter at the Causeway Stadium, Leicester caught Wasps cold with a powerful opening spell of intense attacking rugby.

With the Wasps scrum under real pressure, Goode slotted a penalty early on and an exquisite try from Ellis soon followed.

Andy Goode probably did more than anyone to ensure we finished on the correct side of the score
Leicester coach John Wells
He sprinted in from half-way after a beautiful sidestep left Wasps winger Josh Lewsey grasping at thin air.

The match threatened to turn into a rout with Goode knocking over a series of penalties as the Leicester pack dominated their opponents.

Two Mark van Gisbergen penalties in quick succession finally got Wasps on the scoreboard, and they cut the gap again when Voyce scored against the run of play.

Daryl Gibson attempted a chip over the Wasps defence but handed possession to Stuart Abbott who set up Voyce for an easy try.

Leicester fly-half Andy Goode
Goode's goalkicking kept Leicester in the driving seat
Leicester briefly seemed in danger of wasting their fine early work, but two tries in three minutes re-established their hold on the game.

Awarded a penalty deep in his own 22, Goode's quick tap released Austin Healey down the wing and after a couple of phases, Chuter burst up the touchline to squeeze in at the corner.

Even better was to follow, as Murphy collected a loose ball in his 22m and embarked on a sprint straight up the middle.

With the Wasps cover closing in, he checked his stride and passed to Ellis. The scrum-half changed the angle of attack then put Lloyd away for a 29-13 half-time lead.

Wasps came out with far more urgency in the second-half, and Worsley powered over in the 49th minute after a period of sustained pressure.

We weren't good enough in the first 20 minutes
Wasps coach Warren Gatland
Goode scored another two penalties - one from five metres inside his own half - to keep Wasps at arm's length.

Wasps refused to lie down though and when replacement Rob Hoadley offloaded for Green to score, it looked as though an amazing escape could be on the cards.

But with 10 minutes to play, Leicester closed the match out efficiently for a well-deserved win.

Leicester: Murphy, Lloyd, Smith, Gibson, Healey, Goode, Ellis, Rowntree, Chuter, White, M. Johnson, Kay, Moody, Back, Corry. Replacements: Cockerill, L. Deacon, Morris, W. Johnson, Bemand, Vesty, A. Tuilagi.

Wasps: Van Gisbergen, Lewsey, Erinle, Abbott, Voyce, King, Dawson, Dowd, Gotting, Green, Shaw, Birkett, Worsley, O'Connor, Dallaglio. Replacements: Barratt, Mackenzie, Haskell, Hart, Biljon, Brooks, Hoadley.

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport