Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 5 December, 2004, 14:44 GMT
Glasgow 26-29 Scarlets
Matthew Watkins crossed for two tries
Glasgow (16) 26
Tries: Beveridge, Maclure
Cons: Howarth (2)
Pens: Howarth (4)
Scarlets (29) 29
Tries: G Thomas, Watkins (2), G Evans
Cons: Bowen (3)
Pens: Bowen
Att: 2,281
Four first-half tries gave the Scarlets a first Heineken Cup Pool Three win and a bonus point at Hughenden.

But the Llanelli side had to survive a strong second-half Glasgow fightback.

Tries from Gavin Thomas, Matthew Watkins (2) and Garan Evans against an early Graeme Beveridge effort gave the Scarlets a 29-16 lead at the break.

But Calvin Howarth's 16 points and Gareth Maclure's interception try gave Glasgow a bonus point, leaving the visitors clinging on at the death.

A fifth-minute Salesi Finau turnover on his own 22 set the tone for a scrappy game, Glasgow scrum-half Beveridge picking up and brushing past weak Dwayne Peel and Gareth Bowen tackles for a soft try.

Bowen replied with a penalty, then helped feed left wing Aisea Havili whose sparkling touch-line run took him to the home side's line.

At least we have given ourselves a chance, the pool's still open
Scarlets director of rugby Gareth Jenkins
Flanker Thomas supported well to pick up on the floor and pile over for the Scarlets' first try.

Howarth missed two penalties before Andrew Henderson's fine midfield break allowed the fly-half to restore Glasgow's lead with a kick.

The Scarlets forwards began to take a grip, though, destroying the Scottish line-out, and after a series of forward drives centre Watkins breezed past a weak Howarth tackle for an easy try.

Watkins added his second just four minutes later, turnover line-out ball being spun quickly to the back line where the centre had the pace to make a clean outside break.

Repeated Scarlets indiscipline saw Glasgow claw their way back into the game with two Howarth penalties.

Calvin Howarth
Howarth's 16 points kept Glasgow in the game
But on the stroke of half-time Matthew Rees' turnover ball came back to Bowen, whose chip over the top bounced kindly for Evans to ease over for a bonus-point try.

The Scarlets continued to find disfavour with referee Roy Maybank in the second half, and Howarth narrowed the gap with his fourth penalty.

And the game was brought right back into the melting pot when Bowen's lobbed midfield pass was intercepted by left wing Maclure, who eased in for a try with a 50m run in.

Howarth's conversion narrowed the gap to an uncomfortable three points, and with the game entering its closing moments Glasgow hammered at the Scarlets' line.

We were robbed, but it was us who inflicted the damage by switching off in the second quarter
Glasgow coach Hugh Campbell
Dan Parks' cross-field kick looked likely to give them a winning try with the last move of the game, but the three home attackers contrived to knock on with the try line begging.

"We were robbed, but it was us who inflicted the damage by switching off in the second quarter," said Glasgow coach Hugh Campbell.

"We are now out of the running to qualify - but our campaign is not dead.

"Our guys have learned some harsh lessons of the reality of rugby at this level and they must use the next three matches to continue that process.

"Our priority, however, must now be to finish as top Scottish seeds in the Celtic League."

Scarlets director of rugby Gareth Jenkins admitted he was hugely relieved to hear the final whistle.

"Glasgow were putting us under real pressure at the end and we were scrambling a bit," he said.

"We now have to focus on beating Glasgow again at our place next week and build towards the final two matches against Northampton and Toulouse.

"At least we have given ourselves a chance, the pool's still open."

Glasgow: Kerr; Maclure, Craig, Henderson, S Lamont; Howarth, Pinder; Tkachuk, Lawson, Murray, Hall, Turner, Mather, Macfadyen, Petrie (capt).
Replacements: Bulloch, Kelly, Beattie, Wilson, Beveridge, Parks, Logan

Scarlets: G Evans; Havili, Watkins, Finau, Selley; Bowen, Peel; John, M Rees, J Davies, Cooper, Wyatt, Easterby (capt), G Thomas, D Jones.
Replacements: I Thomas, Gravelle, A Jones, Hodges, Phillips, Arwel Thomas, B Davies.

Referee: Roy Maybank (England)

Heineken Cup 2004/5
22 Oct 04 |  European Club

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport