Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 4 December, 2004, 15:02 GMT
Stade Francais 30-10 Ulster
Ulster's David Humhreys is dumped by Stade scrum-half Jerome Fillol
Stade Francais: (9) 30:
Tries: Blin, Sowerby, Bergamasco
Cons: Skrela 3
Pens: Skrela 3
Ulster: (3) 10:
Tries: Bowe
Cons: Humphreys
Pen: Humphreys
Att: 10,900
A forward-dominating Stade Francais remained unbeaten after brushing aside a gutsy Ulster with a second-half flourish at the Stade Jean-Bouin.

The runaway Pool Six leaders scored tries through skipper Mathieu Blin, Shaun Sowerby and Mirco Bergamasco with David Skrela kicking 15 points.

Ulster, out-gunned up front, were resurgent late in the game and made the home side fight for every point.

David Humphreys kicked a penalty and converted a great try by Tommy Bowe.

It was all one-way traffic at the start with Ulster's porous defence allowing the Stade threequarters to cut through the midfield on three occasions.

But the Irish province did a great piece of scrambling to keep their try-line intact with Bowe and Kieran Campbell mopping up.

Ulster's line-out was also malfunctioning and a plethora of unforced errors gave Stade the chance to keep up the pressure up in their opponent's half.

Remarkably, Ulster were still in contention midway through the half with Humphreys cancelling out an early Skrela penalty with a 45-metre effort.

Stade fly-half Skrela was not having much early success with the boot, but he connected with two short-range efforts as the Frenchmen went in at half-time wondering why they were not more than 9-3 ahead.

Ulster's Tommy Bowe scored a great try in the second half
Ulster's Tommy Bowe scored a great try in the second half
Stade came out determined to rub home their forward domination and within two minutes had scored the first try of the game.

Two massive rumbles up field gave them territorial position and the Stade pack careered over from a line-out with hooker Blin touching down.

Stade's second try in the 56th minute was a carbon copy of the first with the pack driving number eight Sowerby over from five metres.

The floodgates opened again in the 65th minute when Brian Liebenberg burst through, and after a series of rucks, winger Bergamasco was given a free run into the corner.

But Ulster caught Stade with a great reposte two minutes later when Humphreys put up a dangling kick to the corner for Bowe to leap and collect and run around under the posts.

Ulster, showing more self belief, were enjoying their best period in the final 15 minutes when both Humphreys, Scott Young and replacement Paul Steinmetz cut through to almost set up tries.

In the end Ulster held their line intact and deserve some credit in stopping Stade claiming their third bonus point on the trot.

Stade Francais: Dominici; Bergamasco, Glas, Liebenberg, Poulain; Skrela, Fillol; Roncero, Blin, Lemoine, Brouzet, James, Jechoux, Rabadan, Sowerby.
Replacements: Castola, Montes, Marchois, Auradou, Sarramea, Quesada, Mahe.

Ulster: Cunningham; S Young; Bell; Maggs, Bowe; Humphreys, Campbell; McCormack, Shields, Moore, Frost, McCullough, Feather, Best, Wilson.
Replacements: Brady, B Young, Longwell, Barker, Doak, Larkin, Steinmetz.

Referee: D Pearson (RFU).

Report: BBC's Jim Neilly in Paris

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport