Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 23 January, 2004, 21:18 GMT
Edinburgh 33-15 Ospreys
Laney and his teammates celebrate their historic victory
Edinburgh (16) 33: Tries: Laney 2, A. Hogg 2. Cons: Laney 2. Pens: Laney 3.
Ospreys (12) 15: Pens: Henson 5.
Att: 5,250
Edinburgh have become the first Scottish club to reach the quarter finals of the Heineken Cup after victory over the Ospreys.

That gave them a fifth straight win in Pool Two. A bonus point as well as other results going their way secured their place in the last eight.

Their superior class told against an Ospreys side that has yet to record a point in this year's tournament.

Skipper Brendan Laney was the hero with a late fourth try for the extra point.

After early penalties were swapped by Brendan Laney and Gavin Henson, Ally Hogg claimed the opening touchdown for the home side.

Laney confidently slotted the conversion, only to see Henson reduce the lead with another penalty.

Edinburgh coach Frank Hadden applauds his players
The effort the lads put in was nothing short of sensational
Edinburgh coach Frank Hadden

Edinburgh shook off the setback to bag six more points, thanks to two excellent strikes by Laney - the second of which was at least five metres inside his own half. But Henson clipped over his third penalty to keep his side in the picture.

Edinburgh suffered a further double blow just before the break.

First, prop Allan Jacobsen was sinbinned after the intervention of a touch-judge - then Henson kept up his great run with the boot by bagging three more points.

Laney was the man who mattered seven minutes after the restart as he kept up his remarkable strike rate.

The home side's pack power shone through as they worked their way upfield and Laney lived up to his "Chainsaw" nickname by carving his way through for try number two.

They took another step towards their target when Hogg completed his double after sniping work by Mike Blair in the wake of a penalty taken as a scrum, and Laney converted.

Henson clawed back three points for the Welshmen, but in reality they were never in with a shout.

Seconds from time, inspirational skipper Laney nipped in to complete his try double and record the bonus point that guaranteed his side a quarter-final spot.

Edinburgh face Toulouse to decide who will go through as group winners.

Edinburgh: Lee, Webster, Di Rollo, Laney, Joiner, Paterson, Blair, Jacobsen, D. Hall, Smith, Hines, Murray, A. Dall, Cross, A. Hogg.

Replacements: Di Ciacca, Brannigan, Kellock, Strokosch, Burns, Philip, Southwell.

Neath-Swansea Ospreys: Terblanche, Seveali'i, Storey, Tiueti, S. Williams, Henson, A. Williams, D. Jones, B. Williams, A. Jones, Newman, J. Thomas, Bater, Tandy, Bonner-Evans.

Replacements: C. Wells, Millward, Pugh, Tait, Durston, Brayley, Connor.

Referee: Eric Darriere (France)


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport