BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
    You are in: Rugby Union: European  
Sport Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

 Sunday, 12 January, 2003, 17:22 GMT
Wasps in driving seat
Fraser Waters of Wasps
Wasps centre Fraser Waters is tackled
Wasps 35-22 Stade Francais

Wasps overcame a strong Stade Francais line-up to draw first blood in the first leg of the Parker Pen Challenge Cup quarter-final at Adams Park.

The home side scored four tries - through Stuart Abbot, John Rudd, Lawrence Dallaglio and Fraser Waters - and eased away to a comfortable win in the second half.

Stade Francais were indebted to Diego Dominguez, who kicked 17 points, while Ignacio Corleto added a solitary try.

But they were unable to live with the powerful Wasps despite trailing only 13-15 at the break.

Match facts:
Wasps 35
Tries: Abbot, Rudd, Dallalglio, Waters
Cons: King (3)
Pens: King (2), Logan
Stade Francais 22
Tries: Corleto
Cons: Dominguez
Pens: Dominguez (4)
Drop goal: Dominguez

Kickers King and Dominguez traded early penalties before Stade took the lead in the 20th minute with the first try of the game from Corleto.

The full-back capitalised on a period of Stade pressure and stepped inside his opposite number Mark van Gisbergen to score under the posts.

Dominguez converted before King added a penalty in the 36th minute.

The Italian soon restored the visitors' four-point lead, but a minute later Wasps ran in their first try through Abbot.

He gathered a deflected kick ahead from centre Waters to crash over, with King converting for a two-point lead at the break.

Wasps immediately extended their lead on the resumption with winger Rudd rounding French international Stephane Glas to score.

We were a lot more accurate and took our opportunities - and we were fitter

Wasps boss Warren Gatland

Dominguez added his fourth penalty two minutes later but Wasps remained in control and were helped in the 62nd minute when Stade centre Brian Liebenberg was yellow-carded for killing the ball.

From the subsequent penalty and line-out the Wasps forwards drove their French counterparts back 20 metres to score through captain Dallaglio.

Dominguez again kept Stade in touch but the home side continued to press and scored their fourth try in the 75th minute.

Replacement hooker Phil Greening, back after injury, joined the line and fed Waters, who raced home.

Though Dominguez added a drop goal with the final kick of the match Wasps will feel quietly confident when they travel to Paris next week for the return leg.

Wasps: van Gisbergen, Rudd, Waters, Abbott, Logan, A. King, Howley, Dowd, Leota, W. Green, Shaw, Birkett, Worsley, Bolley, Dallaglio.

Replacements: Wood, Greening, Denney, Erinle, Scrivener, Beardshaw, Kershaw.

Stade Francais: Corloto, Lombard, Glas, Leibenberg, Dominici, Dominguez, Galthie, Emmanuelli, August, De Villiers, Auradou, James, Martin, Rabadan, Moni.

Replacements: Cabello, Lemoine, Tabacco, Jechoux, Gomes, Comba, Filol.

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

 BBC Sport's Nigel Starmer-Smith
"Wasps put in a top class performance"
 Wasps captain Lawrence Dallaglio
"I'm thrilled to bits with the result"

Heineken Cup

Parker Pen Cup

Have Your Say

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more European stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more European stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales