BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Rugby Union: European  
Sport Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Saturday, 19 October, 2002, 15:44 GMT 16:44 UK
Bristol pull off Cup shock
Olivier Magne is brought down by Gareth Archer
Magne was guilty of some major errors
Bristol 24-19 Montferrand

Bristol have pulled off one of the big shocks of the Heineken Cup with a compelling win against France's Montferrand.

With 12 full internationals, Montferrand had started as one of the pre-tournament favourites.

But a string of errors, some potent defending by the Shoguns and a 19-point haul by Felipe Contepomi proved too much.

Three long-range penalties from the Argentine fly-half were the only scores of the first half as opposite number Gerald Merceron failed with his two attempts.

But the scoreline could have been dramatically different had the French taken a flurry of chances available to them.

Montferrand captain Oliver Magne was the major villain, attempting a farcical drop goal and wasting two try-scoring opportunities.

After 12 minutes he passed to lock Olivier Brouzet rather than Merceron, who was in acres of space.

  Match details:
Bristol 24 Tries: Drahm, Contepomi
Pens: Contepomi 4
Con: Contepomi
Montferrand 19 Tries: Bory, Marsh, Sudre
Cons: Merceron 2

And worse was to come two minutes later when he sent the ball into touch rather than the hands of team-mate and former Leicester forward Richard Cockerill.

The handling errors of the first half were replaced by some fiery fracas after the interval and some stunning running rugby.

Bristol's until then immovable defence finally crumbled 10 minutes after the break.

David Bory was the first over the line, as replacement Lee Best committed himself too early in the tackle, enabling Bory to slice through two tackles and put the ball under the posts.

The Shoguns, though, refused to buckle and Shane Drahm left Montferrand red faced 10 minutes later.

Hailed by coach Peter Thorburn as his side's most skilful player, he made a mockery of Merceron, turning the French international en route to the line.

Drahm missed an easy kick as did Merceron two minutes later when Tony Marsh, with his first real attack of the day, scored Montferrand's second try.

A forward pass by Johnny Ngauamo to Raphael Chanal was missed by referee Nigel Whitehouse and Chanal laid off to Marsh for an easy run in.

That put the pressure back on Bristol but Contepomi's converted try sealed the win despite a Gregory Sudre try with the last move of the match.

Bristol: Drahm, Rees, Higgins, Gibson, Christophers, Contepomi, Pichot, Sheridan, Johnstone, Crompton, Archer, A. Brown, Short, Lipman, Oakley.
Replacements: E. Bergamaschi, Rowland, Salter, Nelson, Carrington, Best, Richards.

Montferrand: Viars, J. Marlu, Ngauamo, Marsh, D. Bory, Merceron, Von Hoeslin, Tolofua, Cockerill, Bozzi, Lecomte, Brouzet, Audebert, Magne, Vermeulen.
Replacements: Taofifenua, Siepelski, Vaitanaki, Raynaud, Sudre, Sadourny, Chanal.

Referee: Nigel Whitehouse (Wales)

Bristol's Felipe Contepomi
"We are very proud of what we've done"
Bristol's Rhys Oakley
"It's incredible on my first-ever game for the club"

Heineken Cup

Parker Pen Cup


Have Your Say

Links to more European stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more European stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales