Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Rugby Union: European  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Sunday, 13 January, 2002, 15:51 GMT
Glasgow fall at final hurdle
John Petrie on the charge
Glasgow's Euro dreams were crushed in France
Montferrand 44-13 Glasgow

Glasgow's European drive was halted in convincing fashion by Montferrand at the Michelin Stadium.

Andy Nicol's side were bidding to become the first Scottish side to claim a place in the Heineken quarter-finals.

After a bright start the Scots suffered a major fade-out in the second half.

Glasgow went ahead early in the game with a bizarre penalty try.

James McLaren and Andy Henderson had gone close to breaching the Montferrand defence and the scoring chance seemed to have vanished when the visitors surrendered possession on the line.

Skipper Nicol refused to give up the ghost, however, and did just enough to interfere with Gerald Merceron's intended clearance kick.

With a bit more luck and better execution we would have had more points on the board
Glasgow captain Andy Nicol
The ball dropped to the turf and was played by one of his team-mates, who was coming from an offside position. Tommy Hayes converted.

Montferrand hit back in clinical fashion, changing the tide with two touchdowns in quick succession from centre partners Tony Marsh and Raphael Chanal, both goaled by Merceron.

Hayes slotted a straightforward penalty to keep Glasgow within touching distance, but dead-eye Merceron replied in identical style.

It was essential for the Scots to hold their nerve after the restart, however a try in the 42nd minute by the pacy Jimmy Marlu in the wake of a break by Marsh saw their hopes nosedive.

Hayes was quick to reply with a penalty - only for Merceron to again cancel it out.

After Merceron dashed through a narrow-side gap to reach the corner midway through the half and added the goal, there really was no prospect of a dramatic fightback.

Montferrand were now in total control and they were awarded a penalty try for midfield obstruction when they had a big overlap. Xavier Sadourny converted and fellow sub Aurelien Rougerie rounded off the rout.

Glasgow captain Nicol said: "We got off to the ideal start - as good a one as we have had in an away game in Europe - and we were certainly posing questions.

"With a bit more luck and better execution we would have had more points on the board.

"There is no doubt that Montferrand were rattled because they were talking back to the referee - but all credit to them for making the most of their chances.

"They weren't really in the match after 30 minutes and yet they were in the lead.

"They turned us over three times - and claimed two tries and a penalty in the process."

Montferrand: Marlu, Viars, Chanal, Marsh, Bory, Merceron, Troncon, Galasso, Caputo, Gomez, Barrier, Jacques, Audebert, Boome, Machacek.

Glasgow: Glenn Metcalfe, Rory Kerr, James McLaren, Andy Henderson, Michael Bartlett, Tommy Hayes, Andy Nicol (captain), David Hilton, Gordon Bulloch, Gordon McIlwham, Steve Griffiths, Jason White, Roland Reid, Gareth Flockhart, Jon Petrie.

Replacements: Gavin Scott, Lee Harrison, Nathan Ross, Andrew Hall, Graeme Beveridge, Jon Stuart, Barry Irving.

See also:

04 Jan 02 |  European
Glasgow shock Northampton
24 Oct 01 |  Heineken Cup
Montferrand fined for crowd violence
28 Sep 01 |  Heineken Cup
Heineken heartache for Glasgow
13 Jan 02 |  European
Toulouse rout Leinster
12 Jan 02 |  European
Bath through in style
12 Jan 02 |  European
Stade thrash sorry Wasps
Links to more European stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more European stories

^^ Back to top