Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Rugby Union: European  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 4 January, 2002, 21:49 GMT
Glasgow shock Northampton
Northhampton's Matt Dawson hands off Glasgow's Andy Henderson
Andy Henderson attempts to stop Matt Dawson
Glasgow 31-27 Northampton

Glasgow kept their Heineken Cup dream alive with a thrilling second-half comeback against Northampton at Firhill.

Glasgow had been rocked early in the second period by the loss of Gordon Simpson through injury.

Led by England scrum-half Matt Dawson, the Saints had got themselves into a 20-13 lead with a couple of penalties and a drop goal from Paul Grayson.

But Glasgow responded with two tries in four minutes.

  Scores and scorers
Glasgow 31
Tries: Rory Kerr (2) & Roland Reid
Cons: James McLaren & Tommy Hayes
Pens: McLaren (2) & Hayes (2)

Northampton 27
Tries: Ben Cohen & Andrew Blowers
Con: Paul Grayson
Pens: Grayson (4)
Drop goal: Grayson
The first came from Rory Kerr and the second from Roland Reid, converted by James McLaren, to put the home side into a 25-20 lead.

Again Northampton went in front with a try by New Zealand international Andrew Blowers, converted by Grayson.

But a pair of penalties from McLaren saw Glasgow to a victory hailed by the 3,426 crowd.

After a close first half, Glasgow had squeezed themselves into a 13-11 lead.

The visitors had been quicker to settle with a couple of penalties by Grayson, which gave them a 6-0 lead after 14 minutes.

Tommy Hayes got Glasgow onto the scoresheet with a penalty after Reid had been obstructed.

But a prolonged spell of English attack ended with a try for winger Ben Cohen, who latched onto Grayson's cross-kick before touching down.

Glasgow immediately hit back with a cracking try, Kerr touching down after Glenn Metcalfe had breached the Saints' line.

Hayes converted and then put Glasgow into the lead in the 40th minute with his second penalty.

Glasgow: Metcalfe, Kerr, McLaren, Henderson, Bartlett, Hayes, Nicol, Hilton, G. Bulloch, McIlwham, Griffiths, White, Reid, Simpson, Petrie.
Replacements: Scott, Harrison, Ross, Flockhart, Beveridge, A. Bulloch, Irving.

Northampton: Beal, Moir, Jorgensen, Tucker, Cohen, Grayson, Dawson, Todd, Brotherstone, Stewart, Phillips, Brouzet, Rennick, Pountney, Blowers.
Replacements: Thompson, Budgen, Hunter, Seely, Malone, Leslie, Hepher.

Referee: Joel Dume (France).

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more European stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more European stories

^^ Back to top