BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Rugby Union: Celtic  
Sport Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Saturday, 1 February, 2003, 14:18 GMT
Clockwatch: Neath 17-37 Munster
Follow the action from the Millennium Stadium
Munster keep the Celtic League crown in Irish hands, outclassing Neath in an exciting final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Latest action appears first, scroll down for earlier updates.

Full time: Neath 17-37 Munster

80+5 mins: The line of red shirts repulse attack after Neath attack, but eventually prop Adam Jones forces his way over for a consolation try. Replacement Shaun Connor misses the conversion.
Neath 17-37 Munster

80+3 mins: Neath are determined to play until the final whistle and hammer away at the Munster line.

80 mins: Comedy boos ring out as Staunton opts for a late kick at goal rather than something more spectacular, but soon change to cheers as he pots the penalty.
Neath 12-37 Munster

77 mins: With the game safe, Mick Galwey lopes onto the pitch to huge applause, the great Lions, Ireland and Munster lock enjoying his swansong. Donnacha O'Callaghan, who has given the Neath lineout a torrid afternoon, makes way.

74 mins: Munster smuggle Neath possession and spin it quickly left to Quinlan, who draws Morris before punting ahead to send Neath scurrying back into their own half.

67 mins: Huge flare-up after Storey thumps Stringer for a sneaky stamp on the helpless Shane Williams, trapped at the bottom of a ruck. Both get a 10-minute spell in the sin bin.

65 mins: Stringer makes a superb break from the base of a Munster ruck, but looks the wrong way for his support and Neath snuff out the danger.

62 mins: Neath aren't buried yet, though, and only a fine cover tackle from John Kelly prevents Shane Williams squeezing in at the left corner flag.

61 mins: The strains of Fields Of Athenry echo around the Millennium Stadium, as the Munster fans rejoice in a major final that is going their way following last season's Heineken Cup heartbreak.

56 mins: Henderson cuts back inside the Neath midfield, shoves off Shane Williams and races over on the right for a superb solo try. Staunton misses the extras but it doesn't look like it will matter.
Neath 12-34 Munster

53 mins: The Munster pack sense a try and shove their Neath opponents over under the posts. Prop Marcus Horan gets the touchdown and Staunton converts.
Neath 12-29 Munster

52 mins: Gareth Morris misjudges a punt from Holland and the ball bounces off his shoulder into touch to hand Munster the lineout in Neath's 22.

48 mins: Time for a bit of ball-up-the-jumper stuff from the powerful Munster pack, tying up the Neath forwards. Scrum-half Stringer release the ball and a chip through almost puts Lawlor in for a try.

44 mins: Jim Williams is slow to roll away from a ruck and Jarvis has an early chance to get three points for Neath, his kick sailing through the uprights.
Neath 12-22 Munster

41 mins: Neath start at a frantic pace in an effort to get back into the game but again lose the ball in contact and Peter Stringer punts down field.

Half-time: Neath 9-22 Munster

40+3 mins: Shane Williams' knock-on spoils a good attack for Neath, but it doesn't matter as play is called back for Moceletu punching Sheahan.

40 minutes: Munster disrupt another Neath lineout and pour towards the Neath line. The Welshmen stop the initial rush from hooker Frank Sheahan but give away another penalty that Staunton converts.
Neath 9-22 Munster

36 mins: A high tackle from Mike Mullins on Shane Williams gives Neath a chance to reply quickly, with Jarvis' kick cutting Munster's lead to 10 points.
Neath 9-19 Munster

34 mins: Alan Quinlan snaffles a poor attempt at a clearance kick from Jarvis and the flanker races in under the posts for a try, converted by Staunton.
Neath 6-19 Munster

33 mins: Yet back come Neath, stetching the Irish one way and another before Jarvis finds the middle of the posts with a drop-goal.
Neath 6-12 Munster

30 mins: Neath opt to kick to touch but lose the ball in possession after taking the five-metre lineout and Munster hack clear.

29 mins: Storey makes a superb break down the left wing after a good off-load from Tiueti and Munster's desperate defence draws a penalty.

23 mins: O'Gara is struggling after a knock and is substituted, with Holland moving to fly-half and Rob Henderson making his return to competition after his own injury lay-off.

21 mins: News comes from the touchline that Barry Williams has a suspected broken jaw and will take no further part in the match. With Llanelli's Robin McBryde also out for the start of the Six Nations it's further worry for Wales.

20 mins: Jarvis tries a drop-goal from distance but it goes well wide and Munster, full of confidence, decide to run it back rather than kick for safety.

18 mins: Another Neath infringement earns a stern lecture for Alfie Mocelutu and another chance for O'Gara from close to the halfway line, which the Ireland fly-half converts.
Neath 3-12 Munster

15 mins: Munster win their restart and Neath again fall foul of the offside line to give away a kickable penalty. Further bad news is an injury to hooker Barry Williams after tackling Jason Holland. O'Gara keeps his perfect penalty record going.
Neath 3-9 Munster

13 mins: However, the Munster full-back misses touch with his kick and Neath rampage it back, drawing a penalty for Jarvis to claim the Welsh All Blacks' first points.
Neath 3-6 Munster

11 mins: Munster full-back Staunton shows great poise as Jarvis tries out the up-and-under, claiming the mark with Dave Tiueti just failing to get there first.

8 mins: A reckless swinging arm from Neath centre James Storey on Mossie Lawlor brings jeers from the Munster fans and a penalty from referee Chris White. O'Gara strikes a beautiful kick from the left touchline.
Neath 0-6 Munster

5 mins: O'Gara launches a huge Garryowen, but Shane Williams takes a good mark, then taps quickly. Adrian Durston steps twice to dance through the Munster midfield but his pass to Lee Jarvis is forward.

2 mins: Munster recycle the ball right and Neath kill the ball at a ruck, Ronan O'Gara makes no mistake with the simple penalty to open the scoring.
Neath 0-3 Munster

1 min: Munster launch a swift attack through the backs after stealing Neath's lineout, with Jeremy Staunton racing half the length of the field.

Kick-off 1445 GMT: Neath get things underway through Lee Jarvis and Anthony Foley takes a good catch under extreme pressure.

Neath: Adrian Durston; Gareth Morris, James Storey, Dave Tiueti, Shane Williams; Lee Jarvis, Andy Moore; Duncan Jones, Barry Williams, Adam Jones, Andy Newman, Gareth Llewellyn (capt), Alfie Mocelutu, Brett Sinkinson, Nathan Bonner-Evans.
Reps: Allan Bateman, Shaun Connor, Steve Tandy, Adam Matthews, Rowland Phillips, Lyndon Bateman, Andrew Millward.

Munster: Jeremy Staunton; John Kelly, Mike Mullins, Jason Holland, Mossie Lawlor; Ronan O'Gara, Peter Stringer; Marcus Horan, Frank Sheahan, John Hayes, Mick O'Driscoll, Donnacha O'Callaghan, John Williams (capt), Alan Quinlan, Anthony Foley.
Reps: John Blaney, Martin Cahill, Mick Galwey, Denis Leamy, Mark Prendergast, Rob Henderson, Killiam Keane.

Referee: Chris White (England).

The final



Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Celtic stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Celtic stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales