Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Rugby Union: Celtic  
Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 18 May, 2002, 15:47 GMT 16:47 UK
Davey leads Ponty to glory
Pontypridd full-back Brett Davey scores his side's only try
Try time: Davey beats the Llanelli defence to score
Llanelli 17-20 Pontypridd

Pontypridd full-back Brett Davey kicked a penalty deep in injury time to deny Llanelli a league and cup double at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Davey scored all his side's points - setting a new Welsh cup final record - as Ponty produced a remarkable second half comeback to lift the cup for only the second time in their history.

Llanelli controlled possession for the majority of a tense final, but their forwards seemed to tire towards the end which left the door open for Ponty to strike.

The victory will just the tonic for Ponty ahead of next Sunday's Parker Pen Shield final against Sale.

But it was another cruel defeat for the Scarlets who had their Heineken Cup hopes shattered by a last-minute penalty from Leicester's Tim Simpson last month.

After some early morning rain in the Welsh capital, the decision was taken to close the stadium roof giving Davey and Llanelli's Stephen Jones perfect goalkicking conditions.

  Scoring details
Llanelli (11) 17
Tries: L. Davies.
Pens: S. Jones 3.
Drop Goals: S. Jones.
Pontypridd (9) 20
Tries: Davey.
Pens: Davey 5.
Att: 41,000
Davey drew first blood with a successful kick after eight minutes, but Jones soon brought the scores level with an accurate penalty of his own.

Llanelli looked the more comfortable with ball in hand during the early stages.

Powerful running from ball carriers such as captain Scott Quinnell and Salesi Finau broke numerous first-time tackles and the Ponty defence looked vulnerable.

It was no surprise therefore when Leigh Davies crashed over in the right corner to score the first try.

The move began in Llanelli's own half as Quinnell picked up a loose ball and put the Ponty tacklers on the back foot.

A superb flowing movement followed which eventually saw prop Martyn Madden throw a wonderful dummy pass, creating enough defensive confusion for Davies to force his way past young winger Matthew Nuttall.

But Ponty did not panic as they sought to get straight back into the game.

In fact, they only needed 10 minutes to regain the lead as the dependable boot of Davey succeeded with two more penalties to take his side to a one point lead at 9-8.

Ponty fly-half gets to grips with Salesi Finau
Finau crashes into Ponty fly-half Ceri Sweeney
He wasted an opportunity to stretch the lead towards the end of the half, and that miss was to prove costly as Jones made no mistake from his chance to give Llanelli a deserved 11-9 half-time lead.

The match continued in the same vein after the break as Llanelli kept finding gaps in the Ponty defence.

Another try seemed on the cards after just two minutes of the second-half as they created huge overlaps out wide.

Loose passing and indecision wasted that chance, but Robin McBryde managed to set up another attack which eventually ended with Madden dropping the ball under pressure as he dived over the tryline.

But the referee was playing a long advantage for Ponty offside, and Jones added another three points from the resulting penalty.

The league champions were now firmly in the driving seat and more surging forward play gave Jones plenty of time to set his sights to kick a drop-goal.

But Ponty again proved they had no intentions of lying down.

Llanelli prop Martyn Madden
Madden wastes a golden try scoring chance
Centre Jon Bryant made his first clean mid-field break of the afternoon and Llanelli needed a last-ditch tackle to force winger Nuttall into touch with the tryline beckoning.

The referee, though, was again playing advantage for a previous Llanelli offence and Davey reduced the deficit with his fourth penalty.

Winger Gareth Wyatt then thought he had scored Ponty's first try, but his celebrations were short lived as the referee had already blown up for a Davey knock-on.

But the supporters did not have to wait long to celebrate a legitimate score as Davey atoned for his poor handling to crash over after joining the three-quarter line at pace.

The full-back had the chance to put his side ahead from the resulting conversion, but his effort struck the post to leave the side's tied at 17-17 with ten minutes left on the clock.

Deep in injury-time Ceri Sweeney almost secured victory, but his drop-goal went inches wide.

Seconds later, though, Ponty were awarded a penalty and Davey held his nerve to win the cup.

Llanelli: B Davies; M Jones, M Cardey, L Davies, S Finau; S Jones, G Easterby; M Madden, R McBryde, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, D Hodges, S Easterby, S Quinnell (capt).
Reps: P Booth, M Thomas, L Gross, D Jones, D Peel, G Bowen, N Boobyer.

Pontypridd: B Davey; G Wyatt, S Parker, J Bryant, M Nuttall; C Sweeney, P John (capt); G Jenkins, M Davies, D Bell, B Cockbain, R Sidoli, N Kelly, R Parks, M Owen.
Reps: M Rees, S Cronk, D McIntosh, C Harris, G Baber, N Little, S James.

Referee: Gareth Simmons (WRFU)

BBC Five Live's Rob Jones
"Davey sparked Pontypridd into life"
Links to more Celtic stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Celtic stories

^^ Back to top