BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 15:41 GMT, Saturday, 12 February 2011

Dragons 30-22 Edinburgh

Newport Gwent Dragons (22) 30
Tries: Price, Tovey, Evans, Smith Coombs Con: Tovey Pen: Tovey
Edinburgh (10) 22
Tries: Jones, Visser, Cross Con: Paterson 2Pen: Paterson

Magners League

Newport Gwent Dragons posted a bonus-point win over Edinburgh in a thrilling Magners League encounter at Rodney Parade.

Edinburgh struck first with a Lee Jones try but Phil Price struck back.

Dragons Jason Tovey, Lewis Evans, and Ashley Smith scored before the break and Andrew Coombs after it.

Visser scored a second as Edinburgh battled back and Geoff Cross followed him to the line. But it was too little too late for the visitors.

The Dragons had acting head coach Darren Edwards in charge for the first time since Paul Turner's departure on the eve of the game.

At the same time Edinburgh were under the guidance of Nick Scrivener for the first time following Rob Moffat's exit.

The Dragons had fewer players on international duty than the visitors, but in an all-action first half, Edinburgh stung their hosts when a smart kick by Visser gave fellow wing wing Jones the chance to wing the race to the touchdown and Chris Paterson converted.

Tovey's clever change of direction paved the way for a corner try by Dragons' prop Price before Paterson kicked Edinburgh into a 10-5 lead with a 22nd minute penalty.

The Dragons roared back to get three tries in the second quarter, starting when Will Harries put Tovey over.

A powerful forward surge brought a try for back-rower Evans, converted by Tovey, and a kick by Harries put centre Smith over to make it 22-10 at the interval.

Tovey stretched the Dragons' lead with a penalty after 45 minutes and flanker Coombs burst away from a maul after a lineout for their fifth try of the match.

Edinburgh hit back with a break by Visser and after several phases close to the home line, it was Visser who fought his way over for a try.

In the dying seconds of the game Geoff Cross forced his way over for the third Edinburgh try which Paterson converted but they still finished one point short of getting a losing bonus point.

Dragons: Will Harries; Adam Hughes, Matthew Watkins, Ashley Smith, Aled Brew; Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans; Phil Price, Tom Willis, Dan Way, Rob Sidoli, Scott Morgan, Andrew Coombs, Lewis Evans, Joe Bearman.
Replacements: Hugh Gustafson, Lloyd Burns, Pat Palmer, Andrew Brown, Hugo Ellis, Pat Leach, Mike Petri, Matthew Jones.

Edinburgh: Paterson; L. Jones, Cairns, Houston, Visser; D. Blair, Laidlaw; Traynor, Kelly, G. Cross, Hamilton, MacKenzie, Newlands, MacDonald, Talei.
Replacements: Walker, Niven, Young, Lozada, Grant, King, Webster, Thompson.

Referee: Alan Falzone (Italy).

Print Sponsor

see also
Turner parts company with Dragons
11 Feb 11 |  NG Dragons
Dragons urged to take opportunity
09 Feb 11 |  NG Dragons
Edinburgh sack head coach Moffat
31 Jan 11 |  Edinburgh

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.