Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 9 April 2006, 15:55 GMT 16:55 UK
Clockwatch: Powergen Cup
All the action from the Powergen Cup final at Twickenham as Wasps beat the Scarlets.

FINAL SCORE - Scarlets 10-26 WASPS

79 mins PENALTY Scarlets 10-26 Wasps:
The Scarlets are wrapped up by Wasps' rush defence and concede a penalty, which Van Gisbergen drills between the posts in the final act of the match.

77 mins DROP GOAL Scarlets 10-23 Wasps:
Replacement fly-half Alex King slots a drop goal to make sure the Powergen Cup is heading for Wasps' trophy room.

67 mins PENALTY Scarlets 10-20 Wasps:
Scarlets replacement Vernon Cooper comes onto the pitch and immediately gives away a kickable penalty. Van Gisbergen makes no mistake and Wasps are pulling clear.

64 mins: Wasps have got the Scarlets pinned in their own territory as the rain continues to bucket down.

57 mins: Barry Davies falls short with a long-range penalty from eight metres inside his own half.

TRY Scarlets 10-17 Wasps:
Wasps take the lead as they score a brilliant try. The Harlequins-bound Stuart Abbott slices through from a scrum and beats the full-back before floating a pass over a covering defender to Voyce, who crosses by the posts. Van Gisbergen converts.

50 mins: Wasps cynically kill the ball after the Scarlets, inspired by Regan King and Hercus, make it to within a couple of yards of the Wasps line.

The Scarlets kick it to the corner but are turned over by the Wasps blitz defence. Rain is now falling heavily at Twickenham.

45 mins: Elusive thrusts from Voyce and Paul Sackey lead to a Wasps penalty, but Van Gisbergen misses the kick.

41 mins: The second half kicks off with a new referee in Simon McDowell because Alan Lewis is injured.

Scarlets captain Easterby is sitting on the replacements bench, apparently none the worse after being stretchered off in the first half.

40 mins: A stop-start half, which saw two players stretchered off, ends with Voyce knocking the ball on a couple of yards out as he tries to finish off a sweeping Wasps attack

36 mins: TRY Scarlets 10-10 Wasps
Wasps fly-half Staunton, who has been having a poor game, intercepts a Clive Stuart-Smith pass and eventually spots the flying Tom Voyce, who crosses near the posts. Van Gisbergen converts to levels the scores.

A minute before Hercus had intercepted for the Scarlets, but the chance came to nothing.

32 mins: Barry Davies misses with a long-range penalty after a high tackle from Wasps second row Simon Shaw.

Injured Scarlets captain Easterby is reported to be conscious after being stretchered off.

28 mins: The game re-starts after another long delay. Wasps prop McKenzie immediately runs sideways, is turned over and concedes a penalty when he refuses to release the ball.

Referee Lewis, despairing at the number of infringements at the breakdown, shows McKenzie the yellow card and he heads to the bin for 10 minutes.

27 mins: Scarlets captain Simon Easterby is knocked unconscious as he collides with Van Gisbergen as the Wasps full-back runs the ball back hard at the Scarlets defence.

The medical staff are quickly onto the pitch and Easterby is stretchered off.

23 mins: PENALTY Scarlets 10-3 Wasps
Wasps drop the ball at the re-start and then concede a penalty 28m out to the right of the posts. Hercus makes no mistake to restore the seven-point margin for the Scarlets.

22 mins: PENALTY Scarlets 7-3 Wasps
Van Gisbergen slots a simple penalty to get Wasps on the board.

20 mins: Wasps prop Ali McKenzie rumbles into space but fails to spot a three-man overlap which would have led to a certain try. In the stands, Wasps coach Shaun Edwards is unamused.

17 mins: Simon Shaw concedes a penalty for offside at a ruck but Hercus' long-range effort hits the post for the Scarlets.

12 mins: Raphael Ibanez makes a surging break for Wasps, but Tim Payne concedes a clumsy penalty to halt the move. O'Connor has been taken to hospital for what is described as a 'precautionary' X-ray.

9 mins: TRY Scarlets 7-0 Wasps
Scarlets' full-back Barry Davies bursts past Wasps fly-half Jeremy Staunton before rounding Mark van Gisbergen and scoring out wide. Mike Hercus slots the conversion for the Welsh side.

7 mins: Referee Alan Lewis lectures the two front rows after some shenanigans at a scrum.

2 mins: The match re-starts after an eight-minute delay and Wasps' first attack is halted as they are penalised for holding on in the tackle.

1 min: Mike Hercus gets the game underway and Wasps flanker Jonny O'Connor soon requires treatment after a heavy collision with Scarlets' number eight Alix Popham.

O'Connor's head crashed into Popham's chest and the Irish flanker has to be stretchered off, although he seems to have movement in both his arms and legs as he is carried away.

Scarlets: B Davies; M Jones, Watkins, R King, D James; Hercus, Stuart-Smith; John, Rees, J Davies; Afeaki, A Jones; Easterby (capt), G Thomas, Popham.
Replacements: Madden, Gravelle, Cooper, D Jones, L Davies, Bowen, Evans.

Wasps: Van Gisbergen; Sackey, Lewsey, Abbott, Voyce; Staunton, Reddan; McKenzie, Ibanez, Payne; Shaw, Birkett; Worsley, O'Connor, Dallaglio (capt).
Replacements: Ward, Bracken, Leo, Haskell, Dawson, King, Erinle.

Powergen Cup photos
09 Apr 06 |  Photo Galleries
Scarlets v Wasps (Sun)
07 Apr 06 |  Welsh
Van Gisbergen geared up for final
06 Apr 06 |  Rugby Union


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport