Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 26 September, 2003, 21:01 GMT 22:01 UK
Edinburgh stun Leinster
Leinster 30-33 Edinburgh

Brendan Laney inspired Edinburgh to victory at Donnybrook
Leinster (17) 30
Tries: D'Arcy 2, O'Riordan
Pens: Leek 3
Cons: Leek 3
Edinburgh (10) 33
Tries: Lee, Joiner, Philip, Laney
Cons: Laney 2
Pens: Laney 2
Dg: Laney
Att: 2,600

Edinburgh came from behind for an unlikely Celtic League victory over an erratic Leinster at Donnybrook.

The visitors won with an injury-time penalty from out-half Brendan Laney following the dismissal of centre David Quinlan for foul play.

Gary Ella's side were 14 points in front in the final quarter, before a Laney-inspired Edinburgh scored two late tries to level by the 84th minute.

Ella's charges got off on the right foot with former England Under-21 fly-half Matthew Leek flashing over a seventh minute penalty, 15 metres in from the touchline.

The home side took a foothold in Gunners' territory and two minutes later saw scrum-half Brian O'Riordan scamper over for the game's first try, from the base of a scrum inside Edinburgh's 22.

Leek converted before Scottish international Laney landed a 10th minute penalty in reply.

An alert Gordon D'Arcy side-stepped past Derrick Lee for his first try of the season before the midpoint of the half.

But out-half Laney, funnelling behind a slow-starting pack, ghosted over with three minutes remaining to close the interval gap to a single score at 17-10.

Leo Cullen missed out on a place in Ireland's World Cup squad
Leo Cullen captained the Leinster side

A fourth successful kick from Leek gave Ella's men a 20-10 by the second half's seventh minute.

D'Arcy's second of the night from a flat pass from wing John McWeeney put Leinster 14 points in front by the hour mark.

Laney's 51st minute drop goal was the sole reply for Frank Hadden's side, before full-back Lee and centre Tom Philip crashed over to reduce the deficit.

D'Arcy's sin-binning for a deliberate ruck offence saw Leinster endure a cagey period.

Memories of Edinburgh's 1999/2000 European Cup comeback from 17 points down against the Irish province for a draw looked to be banished with O'Meara's 81st minute penalty.

But cruelly for Leinster, Craig Joiner took an inside pass to skip over in injury time.

Laney converted, and with Quinlan red-carded for an off-the-ball offence by Welsh referee Hugh Watkins, the Scottish international kicked Edinburgh to top spot in the Celtic League table.

Leinster: D'arcy, McWeeney, Brown, Quinlan, Burke, Leek, O'Riordan, J. Lyne, G. Hickie, E. Byrne, Cullen, Gissing, McCullen, Jennings, Dillon.
Replacements: Coyle, D. Blaney, Kearney, Breslin, O'Meara, Downey, Norton.

Edinburgh: Lee, Webster, Joiner, Philip, Sharman, Laney, Burns, Jacobsen, Kelly, Smith, Perrett, Kellock, Blackadder, Cross, A. Dall.
Replacements: Di Ciacca, Brannigan, Pike, A. Hogg, Lawson, Warnock, Southwell.

Referee: Hugh Watkins (Wales)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

Ulster to face Leinster in cup
20 Sep 03  |  Rugby Union
Leinster overpower Ospreys
19 Sep 03  |  Rugby Union
Warriors battle past Leinster
13 Sep 03  |  Welsh

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport