Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Rugby Union  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Sunday, 13 May, 2001, 16:00 GMT 17:00 UK
Rugby union finals clockwatch
Shane Howarth of Newport and Iain Balshaw of Bath
All the action as it happened from Sunday's two big rugby union finals at Twickenham and the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

Zurich Championship final, Twickenham:
Bath 10-22 Leicester
Principality Cup final, Cardiff:
Neath 8-13 Newport

15:00 After the crowd sing the national anthem at Twickenham , Bath fly-half Mike Catt - the Premiership's player of the season - starts the game.

3 mins: Bath are awarded a penalty just inside the Leicester half. But full-back Matt Perry, not renowned as a goal-kicker, scuffs his effort well off target.

Leicester's Tim Stimpson is tackled by Iain Balshaw
Leicester's Tim Stimpson is tackled by Iain Balshaw
8 mins: Penalty to Leicester after Bath No.8 Dan Lyle is guilty of dangerous play at a line-out. But this time it is Tim Stimpson's turn to miss his kick at goal.

15: A blow for Newport in the Principality Cup final. Fly-half Shane Howarth is forced off the field with blood pouring from his mouth following a clash with Gareth Morris, who is sin-binned as a result.

16: Bath storm into Leicester territory and Shaun Berne looks sure to score - but Austin Healey manages a try-saving tackle. Berne is injured as a result and is stretchered off. Sam Cox replaces him in the centre.

18: Neath take the lead against the run of play in Cardiff, courtesy of a penalty from wing Shane Williams.
Neath 3-0 Newport

21: Bath's pressure fails to produce a try, but they accept the consolation of a penalty in front of the posts - and this time Matt Perry makes no mistake.
Bath 3-0 Leicester

25: Leicester begin to show their class and pile towards the Bath line. Austin Healey takes a tap-penalty in front of the posts and the ball finds Martin Johnson, who powers over the line, just as Iain Balshaw tries a desperate tackle.

Referee Steve Lander is not certain the ball has been touched down and asks the third official to decide. After viewing the replay, the try is allowed to stand and Stimpson converts.
Bath 3-7 Leicester

Newport's Dale Burn makes a break against Neath
Newport's Dale Burn makes a break against Neath
26: Matt Perry limps off following his clash with Lions captain Martin Johnson. Rob Thirlby comes off the bench.

27: Neath have a try disallowed by the video referee, after Kevin James is taken into touch by Newport flanker Peter Buxton.

36: Newport level through a penalty from Shane Howarth, who has recovered from the facial injury he suffered in a clash with Gareth Morris.
Neath 3-3 Newport

39: Matt Perry returns to the action at Twickenham, with his head swathed in bandages.

40: The half-time whistle blows in Cardiff, with the teams deadlocked at 3-3.

40: Five minutes into first-half injury time, Leicester are given a penalty just inside Bath territory. But Tim Stimpson misses the chance and the Tigers go in at the break with a 7-3 lead.

43: Newport score the first try of the Principality Cup final at the start of the second half in Cardiff. Prop Adrian Garvey collects the ball at a line-out and drives over from five yards out. Shane Howarth converts from the left-hand side.
Neath 3-10 Newport

44: Leicester are now well on top of the Zurich Championship final and are awarded a penalty well within the range of Tim Stimpson, who makes no mistake.
Bath 3-10 Leicester

47: Newport centre Andy Marinos is replaced by Darren Edwards after suffering a leg injury.

49: Leicester's lead begins to take on daunting proportions as they claim their second try. Another attack brings another penalty - but rather than kick, Austin Healey taps it and skips through the Bath defence to score. Stimpson converts.
Bath 3-17 Leicester

Shaun Berne of Bath is tackled by Austin Healey of Leicester
Shaun Berne of Bath is tackled by Austin Healey of Leicester
57: Bath are now getting desperate. They finally manage to get into Leicester territory - but Matt Perry's run is halted and normal service is resumed as the Tigers storm straight back up field.

64: Iain Balshaw struggles off the field with a shoulder injury. The incident is bound to bring nervous times for the Lions coaching staff as they wait to learn whether the Bath wing, one of the key members of their squad, is fit to tour Australia.

67: Newport second row Ian Gough is forced off with what looks like a broken right arm.

67: The game is effectively ended at Twickenham through a third Leicester try. Winston Stanley produces a blistering turn of pace to sprint through in the corner. Stimpson misses the conversion.

69: Neath set up a dramatic finale in Cardiff after winger Kevin James scores their first try. James Storey makes a break and the ball is spun out to James who crashes over in the corner. Shane Williams misses the conversion from the touchline.
Neath 8-10 Newport

76: Newport stretch their lead again, through a Shane Howarth drop-goal.

78: Bath's backs at last gain some quality possession - and they take their chance with a thrilling try. Mike Catt sets things in motion, Matt Perry takes it on and Tom Voyce sets Rob Thirlby clear on the right wing and he races up the line to score Bath's first try. Perry converts from out wide.
Bath 10-22 Leicester

80: The final whistle goes at the Millennium Stadium, where Newport survive Neath's late onslaught to win the Principality Cup.

16:51 The game ends at Twickenham, where Leicester's reputation as the finest side in England is confirmed with a thoroughly convincing win.

The result represents Bath's first ever defeat in a final at Twickenham.

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Rugby Union stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Rugby Union stories

^^ Back to top