Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Group 2  
Front Page 
Team Guide 
Group 1 News 
Group 2 News 
Group 3 News 
Group 4 News 
BBC Coverage 
Photo Galleries 

Match report
from BBC Wales' rugby correspondent Gareth Charles
 real 14k

BBC Five Live's Dave Woods
"The Kiwis were awesome"
 real 14k

Henry Paul with BBC Wales' Roger Hughes
"Credit to them - they scored 18 points"
 real 14k

Wales coach Clive Griffiths
"It will be nip and tuck between them and Australia"
 real 14k

Wales team manager Mike Nicholas
"They bashed us about a bit"
 real 14k

banner Sunday, 5 November, 2000, 17:25 GMT
New Zealand crush battling Wales
New Zealand's Stacey Jones on the break
Stacey Jones breaks between Wales' Sterling and Harris
Wales 18-58 New Zealand

New Zealand overwhelmed a battling Wales with an eleven try romp under the closed roof of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Both sides had already qualified for the quarter-finals before the game and Wales were rocked by the withdrawal of inspirational hooker Keiron Cunningham with a hamstring problem before kick off.

Henry Paul was the star of the New Zealand show with a fantastic try and a number of great plays, which killed the game off before half time.

The sheer size and power of the New Zealanders, most of whom play their rugby in Australia, was too much for Wales to cope with.

Notice was served to Wales after just nine minutes when giant winger Leslie "volcano" Vainikolo burst on to a flat pass from Stacey Jones to score the game's opening try.

The enormous Tongan-born wing completed a hat-trick in the second half, his second try amply demonstrating his pace and power as his legs were simply too big for Wales' Wes Davies to hang on to.

Vainikolo breezed past him after running the length of the field off a pass from skipper Barnett.

Henry Paul takes on the Welsh defence
Henry Paul: Great first half try

His last came with just seconds to go as a tired Wales ran out of defenders behind their own 20 metre line.

The Paul inspired New Zealand dominated the first half and the first part of the second and added to Vainikolo's first try after 20 minutes.

Talau benefited from a quick play-the-ball after a great break up field by prop Smith.

But it was Paul who had sent the forward on his way with a deft pass from the tackle near the New Zealand try line.

Paul then scored a try of his own, breaking three weak tackles and handing-off Justin Morgan disdainfully to cross under the posts as New Zealand threatened to run riot.

Wales did snatch a brilliant try through Lee Briers on the half hour after a great break from Hefin O'Hare, but the Kiwis made the game safe before the break with further tries from Barnett and Ruben Wiki.

They went in 30-6 up at the interval.

Wales looked in danger of conceding a record number of points as New Zealand threatened to break loose in the second half.

Vainikolo's second try was followed by a further touchdown from Toni Carroll, who hit back from a Wales drop out after Paul Sterling was caught behind his own line.

And breakaway efforts from Lautiti, another from skipper Barnett after a Lavea up-and-under was left to bounce, a powerful run by Nigel Vagana and Vainikolo's hat-trick score completed the rout.

Wales did warn the Kiwis they can not afford to lose concentration at later stages in the competition with two tries halfway through the second half.

Paul Atcheson crashed over after a clever step inside from Iestyn Harris and Andy Farrell pounced on a loose ball to get a try courtesy of the video referee.

Scorers - Wales: Tries: Briers, Atcheson, Farrell. Goals: Harris 3.

New Zealand: Tries: Vainikolo 3, Talau, H. Paul, Barnett 2, Wiki, Carroll, Lauiti'iti, J. Vagana. Goals: H. Paul 5, Lavea 2.

Attendance: 17,612

Wales: Davies, Sterling, O'Hare, Critchley, Sullivan, Harris, Briers, Farrell, Watson, Whittle, Jenkins, Morgan, Morley.
Replacements: Eaton, Atcheson, Highton, Smith.

New Zealand: Barnett, N. Vagana, Carroll, Talau, Vainikolo, H. Paul, Jones, Smith, Swain, Cayless, Rua, Kearney, Wiki. Replacements: Lavea, J. Vagana, Puletua, Lauiti'iti.

Referee: Russell Smith (England)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

02 Nov 00 |  Group 2
Wales almost upset by Lebanon
02 Nov 00 |  Group 2
Kiwis serve up a try feast
04 Nov 00 |  Welsh-Scottish Rugby
Pontypridd v Bridgend
Links to top Group 2 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Group 2 stories

^^ Back to top
Front Page | Team Guide | Group 1 | Group 2 | Group 3 | Group 4 | Knock-Out | Venues | BBC Coverage | Results & Fixtures | Photo Gallery | Audio/Video
>To BBC News

>To BBC Sport