BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:55 GMT, Sunday, 13 March 2011

Wigan Warriors 14-12 Hull FC

Wigan (4) 14
Tries: Hoffman, Charnley 2 Goals: S Tomkins
Hull FC (10) 12
Tries: Westerman, Briscoe Goals: Tickle, Westerman

Josh Charnley
Charnley has got his chance this season following Pat Richards' injury

Young winger Josh Charnley ran in two second-half tries as Wigan came from behind to beat Hull at the DW Stadium.

The champions were reduced to 12 men when England forward Joel Tomkins was sent off with 12 minutes left.

But, with eight minutes left, Charnley went in for his second try of the game to tie the scores at 12-12 before Sam Tomkins landed the winning penalty.

After Ryan Hoffman's early score, Hull led 10-4 at half-time thanks to tries from Joe Westerman and Tom Briscoe.

Charnley, only playing because of injuries to long-term absentee Pat Richards and the still sidelined Amos Roberts, responded to Westerman's early second-half penalty by going in for the first of his two tries.

But, when Joel Tomkins was sent off for use of the elbow on 68 minutes, Wigan were staring at a first defeat of the season until the young winger from Chorley struck again.

Tomkins, who had taken over kicking duties from the injured Paul Deacon, missed again to leave the scores locked at 12-12.

But, even when Sam Tomkins edged Wigan in front with a penalty four minutes from time, the drama continued right to the final whistle.

Former Wigan forward Danny Tickle had the chance to tie the scores with a 40-metre penalty but his effort went narrowly wide.

Hull had to make a switch shortly before the start of the match when asthmatic Tongan front rower Sam Moa suffered breathing problems in the warm-up. "It was literally two minutes before kick-off when we decided to pull him," said coach Richard Agar.

And, with former Wigan full-back Cameron Phelps in for his debut, they got off to the worst possible start.

Phelps was outjumped by Wigan second rower Hoffman, who collected Deacon's towering kick to score the game's first try after just three minutes.

But then Deacon, who struck an upright with the conversion attempt, was forced out of the action on 15 minutes after taking a heavy knock.

The red card was 100% the right call. If you look back at the brawl, maybe they were lucky to get just one bloke sent off

Hull FC coach Richard Agar

With Deacon off, Hull's former Wakefield half-back Sam Obst was a constant thorn in Wigan's side with his elusive running and his break set up the position for second rower Westerman to force his way over for an equalising try.

Hull, bidding for a first away win over Wigan for six years, looked on course when England winger Briscoe touched down Horne's kick just inches from the dead-ball line on 17 minutes, Tickle's conversion making it 10-4 at half-time.

Hull lost prop Mark O'Meley with a foot injury at half-time but still extended their lead with a Westerman penalty.

Then came a long pass from makeshift stand-off Sean O'Loughlin to get Charnley over unmarked for his first try on 54 minutes. But the game exploded 10 minutes later when Joel Tomkins and Kirk Yeaman traded blows following an off-the-ball incident.

Referee Steve Ganson let both players off with a lecture but showed the red card to the Wigan man moments later after he appeared to lead with the elbow going into a tackle by Yeaman.

The incident appeared to spark Wigan into life and they drew level eight minutes from time when Charnley grabbed his second, courtesy of another long pass from O'Loughlin.

And Sam Tomkins, wide with both touchline conversion attempts, crucially found the target with a penalty from close to the posts after Westerman had been pulled up for interference at the play-the-ball.

Wigan have now won their last four Super League meetings with Hull - and Sam Tomkins has crucially been on the scoresheet in all of them.

Wigan coach Michael Maguire:

"Sometimes games are ugly and that was one of them today for us. But it was great to see our players dig deep. Even when it came to 12 men, they worked extremely hard.

"Paul Deacon had a bad knock. We'll have to assess that through the week.

"He's had a few of those over the last month and he's not great at the moment.

"Losing a player like that in your halves meant a major shuffle but it's great to see players stick strong right to the end and we managed to get away with it."

Hull coach Richard Agar:

"We probably deserved a bit of something out of it. We've got a disappointed, frustrated and angry changing room. But I'm immensely proud of the effort.

"The red card was 100% the right call. If you look back at the brawl, maybe they were lucky to get just one bloke sent off.

"I'm quite happy our blokes responded in the way they did because, if they are not going to get the right protection, they're entitled to do that.

"I just hope when the League review the game tomorrow, they are watching every tackle."

Wigan: S Tomkins; Goulding, Marsh, Carmont, Charnley; Deacon, Leuluai; Coley, McIlorum, Prescott, Hansen, Hoffman, O'Loughlin.
Replacements: J Tomkins, Lima, Mossop, Farrell.

Hull: Phelps; Sharp, Whiting, Yeaman, T Briscoe; Horne, Obst; O'Meley, Houghton, Radford, Westerman, Tickle, Fitzgibbon.
Replacements: Washbrook, Lauaki, Manu, Dowes.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Attendance: 15,346.

Print Sponsor

see also
Salford 16-32 Wigan
04 Mar 11 |  My Club
Hull FC 42-18 Crusaders
04 Mar 11 |  My Club

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.