BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 21:10 GMT, Friday, 9 July 2010 22:10 UK

Wigan 60-10 Salford

Wigan (30) 60
Tries: S Tomkins 2, Gleeson, J Tomkins, Carmont, O'Loughlin, Goulding 3, Hansen
Goals: Richards 10
Salford (0) 10
Tries: Holdsworth, Broughton Goals: Holdsworth

Darrell Goulding
Darrell Goulding overtook Wigan team-mate Pat Richards as top try scorer

Wigan went six points clear at the top of the Super League table after romping to a 60-10 win over 12-man Salford.

The Reds had to play 59 minutes with a man down after Ryan Boyle was sent off for a high tackle on Stuart Fielden.

But Wigan were already on course, winger Darrell Goulding grabbing a hat-trick to go clear as Super League's top scorer this season with 22 tries.

Sam Tomkins, playing a third straight game in his new role at full-back, chipped in with two of their 10 tries.

Wigan were without suspended prop Andy Coley and injured hooker Michael McIlorum, making three changes to the starting line-up, with Stuart Fielden, Mark Riddell and Harrison Hansen coming in off the bench.

But it did not take long to open their account, Mark Riddell's break setting up Sam Tomkins who raced clear to open the scoring with a fifth-minute try.

Riddell, Thomas Leuluai and Tomkins then combined for a sweeping move wide for Goulding to force the ball down for the second try.

The hosts remained on top and it was only a matter of time before they stretched their lead from Paul Deacon's chip-kick to the right, where Mark Gleeson jumped above Mark Henry to take the catch and touch down.

Already facing an uphill battle, Salford's task was made nigh on impossible when they were reduced to 12 men straight from the restart.

Boyle caught Fielden and referee Ben Thaler wasted little time brandishing his red card.

Joel Tomkins then crashed over from close range and there was still time for another Wigan try before the break as when George Carmont rounded off a flowing move from Sam Tomkins' pass.

Tomkins claimed his second try three minutes into the second half after bursting onto a neat inside ball by Liam Farrell before Salford finally had something to cheer.

Ste Tyrer tapped a Smith grubber inside for Daniel Holdsworth to touch down, but Wigan hit back when Deacon's long pass found fit-again sub Sean O'Loughlin in space to stroll over in the 50th minute.

Goulding then dived over in the corner to round off a sweeping move and Harrison Hansen slipped Sam Tomkins through before charging into position to take a return pass and score next to the posts.

Broughton cut out an ambitious pass by Amos Roberts to score a 90-metre interception try, despite Sam Tomkins' desperate attempt to cut him off.

But Roberts made amends, slipping in Goulding for the game's final try and Pat Richards converted to make it 10 goals from 10 attempts.

Wigan coach Michael Maguire:
"I'm very pleased with the effort the boys put in. They showed a lot of professionalism when we won at Catalans last week and it was the same again.

"They performed well in the first half, it was good to see them keeping the try line safe, and the group are hard enough on themselves so taking their foot off the pedal was never an issue.

"We've still got Eamon O'Carroll and Cameron Phelps to come back and create a bit of pressure amongst the boys.

"It's a good position to be in and we've just got to get through the next six weeks."

Salford coach Shaun McRae:
"We were very passive, maybe they got off to a flyer and we couldn't go with them, and it was game over after the sending off.

"We're disappointed with the result but not overly disappointed by our effort. We tried hard but were outclassed.

"I'm full of admiration for the way Wigan are playing and everything I see with them indicates they're the best team in the competition."

Wigan: S Tomkins, Goulding, Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, Deacon, Leuluai, Fielden, Riddell, Prescott, Hansen, J Tomkins, Tuson.
Replacements: Roberts, O'Loughlin, Mossop, Farrell.

Salford: Fitzpatrick, Broughton, Henry, Gibson, Tyrer, M Smith, Holdsworth, Boyle, Alker, Leuluai, Sibbit, Littler, Swain.
Replacements: J Smith, Parker, Adamson, Sidlow.

Sent off: Boyle (21).

Referee: Ben Thaler (Wakefield).

Attendance: 12,221.

Print Sponsor

see also
Catalans Dragons 16-34 Wigan
04 Jul 10 |  My Club
Salford 17-14 Harlequins
02 Jul 10 |  My Club
Salford 4-18 Wigan
11 Apr 10 |  My Club
Rugby League on the BBC
15 Oct 10 |  Rugby League

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.