BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:09 GMT, Monday, 5 April 2010 17:09 UK

Hull FC 10-29 Warrington Wolves

Hull (10) 10
Tries: Hall, Manu Goals: Whiting

Warrington (10) 29
Tries: Hicks 3, Myler, Monaghan Goals: Briers 4 Drop Goal: Briers

Warrington's Lee Briers
Briers created two first-half tries for Warrington on his return from injury

A superb match at Hull FC's KC Stadium ended in a hard-fought victory for Warrington as they kept up the pressure on Wigan at the top of the table.

Hull, despite being without five regular first-teamers, took the game to the visitors.

The scores were level well into the second-half, but Tony Smith's side pulled away in the final quarter.

With returning half-back Lee Briers close to his best, winger Chris Hicks completed a hat-trick shortly.

While Hull were under-strength, the Wolves were strengthened by the return of Briers, and the influential half-back had an immediate impact when he picked up Sean Long's blocked kick and made a smart inside pass for winger Hicks to run under the posts after just three minutes.

Warrington suffered a blow, however, when playmaker Michael Monaghan limped off, to be replaced by Micky Higham.

Shortly afterwards Hull's break from well inside their own half resulted in Jordan Tansey timing his pass perfectly to enable Craig Hall to put the home team on the scoresheet.

The Black & Whites lost their own primary playmaker when Long had to be replaced half-way through the first half, but they took the lead when Danny Washbrook picked the ball up from the back of a scrum and in a pre-rehearsed move, switched the ball back inside for Willie Manu to score from close range.

Richard Whiting kicked the goal, but Warrington were back on terms within two minutes, when Hicks jumped high to catch Briers' kick and ground the ball over the Hull line. The visitors almost went in ahead at half-time when Richie Mathers was held up over the line by Tansey.

Liqourice Allsports

Warrington did take the lead 10 minutes into the second half, when Chris Bridge shrugged off Peter Cusack's attempted tackle to break through the centre of the Hull defence. Richie Myler finished the move, with Briers again adding the two points.

Hull again fought back, with Manu and former Sydney Roosters forward Mark O'Meley both going close, but Monaghan's return to the field saw Warrington seal the game.

A controversial decision by referee Steve Ganson to penalise Hull for dragging a player into touch after the tackle was completed handed the visitors possession, and Monahan took advantage of Gareth Carvell's quick play-the-ball to cross under posts.

Briers goaled, before his drop goal put Warrington 13 points clear.

With Hull finally tiring, Adrian Morley broke through to enable Hicks to complete his hat-trick with five minutes remaining. Even then Hull kept fighting, and only a foot in touch prevented Richard Whiting ending the match on a high note for the Airlie Birds.

Hull FC coach Richard Agar:
"We had a number of casualties from a very tough game on Friday but I thought we backed it up really well. The scoreline probably doesn't do our efforts justice.

"If our effort and commitment is at that level every week, we won't go far wrong."

"[Sean Long] went over on his ankle. It is too early to say at this stage but it was too uncomfortable for him. We will get him checked up."

Warrington Wolves assistant coach James Lowes:
"It was a very good win. We have had a good Easter, to come away with four points. We're not going blase or over the top, we've got some quality teams coming up."

"Across the board I thought Matt King was outstanding again and he's having a great season so far.

"We have still got a lot of work to do on controlling the ball but after a big effort on Friday, both teams backed it up and put on what was a very good game. With and without the ball, I thought both teams were strong.

"I thought [Lee Briers] looked good, a bit of spark that added to the team."

Hull: Tansey, Whiting, Turner, Yeaman, Hall, Washbrook, Long, Cusack, Berrigan, O'Meley, Manu, Burnett, Radford.
Replacements: Houghton, Dowes, Lyne, Moa.

Warrington: Mathers, Hicks, King, Atkins, Riley, Briers, Myler, Morley, Monaghan, Carvell, L. Anderson, Grix, Harrison.
Replacements: Wood, Solomona, Bridge, Higham.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens)

Attendance: 14,131.

Print Sponsor

see also
Rugby league commentaries
03 Apr 10 |  Rugby League
Hull KR 14-18 Hull FC
02 Apr 10 |  My Club
Warrington 32-2 Salford
02 Apr 10 |  My Club

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.