Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 18 May, 2003, 18:30 GMT 19:30 UK
Super League: Round 10 round-up
All the reports from the 10th round of Tetley's Super League VIII (16-18 May).

Sunday's games

Huddersfield 6-52 Bradford

Bulls captain Robbie Paul grabbed a hat-trick of tries as his side recorded their 12th straight win.

The visitors ran in nine tries to close to within two points of Leeds Rhinos, who they meet at Odsal on Friday in a repeat of the Challenge Cup final.

Bradford scored three tries in the first 14 minutes and had the game wrapped up by half-time when they led 28-0.

Huddersfield: 6
Tries: Bailey
Goals: Bloem
Bradford: 52
Tries: Vaikona 2, Paul 3, Naylor, Pratt, Peacock, Vainikolo
Goals: Deacon 3, Radford 5
Paul scored his first try from the full-back role and added two more to take his total of Super League tries to 99 after switching to scrum-half following the loss of Paul Deacon with a facial injury after half an hour.

Centre Scott Naylor got in on the try spree to bring up a career century and winger Tevita Vaikona grabbed a brace to take his tally for the season to eight.

Little went right for Huddersfield, who have lost their last four games after previously raising expectations with three successive victories.

Huddersfield: St Hilaire, O'Hare, Bailey, Bloem, Cooper, Costin, Holroyd, Fleary, March, Gannon, O'Doherty, Crabtree, Turner. Replacements: Gene, Slicker, Greenwood, Morrison.

Bradford: Paul, Vaikona, Naylor, Hape, Vainikolo, Pratt, Deacon, Vagana, A. Smith, Gartner, Gilmour, Peacock, Forshaw. Replacements: Reardon, Radford, Parker, Anderson.

Referee: Ian Smith (Oldham).

Castleford 40-2 Widnes

Castleford ran in seven tries as they totally outplayed play-off rivals Widnes at The Jungle.

Jules O'Neill put Widnes ahead with a ninth-minute penalty goal - their only points of the game - after Castleford were penalised for ripping the ball out in a two-man tackle.

Castleford got the opening try in the 16th minute when lively hooker Ryan Hudson burst through from a play the ball and Wayne Bartrim added the goal.

Castleford: 40
Tries: Hudson, Saxton, Rogers 2, Lynch, McNally, Hepworth
Goals: Bartrim 5, Orr
Widnes: 2
Goals: J O'Neill

They increased their lead in the 28th minute when teenage full-back Tom Saxton went over, with Bartrim adding his second goal.

Widnes' hopes faded further two minutes into the second half when good play by Orr, Andy Lynch and Michael Eagar resulted in Darren Rogers collecting his first try.

Rogers then raced 70 yards for his second and the hosts put the game out of reach when Orr's pass put Lynch over and Orr added the conversion.

The home side rounded things off with further tries from Andy McNally and on-loan signing Jon Hepworth, with Bartrim adding his fifth goal.

Castleford: Saxton, Pryce, Gibson, Eagar, Rogers, Orr, Healey, Sykes, Hudson, Smith, Johnson, Fritz, Bartrim. Replacements: Hepworth, Blakeway, McNally, Lynch.

Widnes: Atcheson, Demetriou, Frame, Hughes, Giles, Lawford, Sheridan, Relf, Millard, J. O'Neill, Hay, McCurrie, J. O'Neill. Replacements: Potter, Farrell, Cantillon, McDonald.

Referee: Peter Taberner (Wigan)

Saturday's game

Leeds 10-10 Hull

Steve Prescott landed a last-gasp penalty to secure Hull a share of the spoils against the Tetley's Super League leaders at Headingley.

A 10th-minute try by Australian winger Colin Best and two goals from Prescott helped Hull to a deserved half-time lead in a close-fought game played in difficult conditions.

But the Rhinos, inspired by the returning Matt Adamson and fellow forward Dave Furner, dominated the second half to make it 10 games without defeat.

Leeds: 10
Tries: Poching, McKenna.
Goals: Sinfield
Hull: 10
Tries: Best.
Goals: Prescott 3
Hull were hit by the late withdrawal of centre Richie Barnett with a shoulder injury - and they lost skipper Tony Smith to a leg injury after only 20 minutes.

But they led 8-0 thanks to Best's score and two succesful kicks from Prescott.

A handling error by Richard Horne allowed second rower Willie Poching to carsh over for the home side's first try.

Then centre Chris McKenna glided over for a second to level the scores.

Sinfield missed both conversion attempts but he edged his side in front for the first time on 65 minutes with a penalty before Prescott tied the match in injury time.

Leeds: Connolly, Calderwood, McKenna, Senior, Cummins, Dunemann, McGuire, Bailey, Diskin, McDermott, Furner, Poching, Sinfield. Replacements: Burrow, Adamson, Jones-Buchanan, McDonald.

Hull: R. Horne, Best, Kohe-Love, Yeaman, Prescott, Cook, T. Smith, Greenhill, Treister, King, Maher, Ryan, Chester. Replacements: Carvell, G. Horne, Last, Donkin.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Friday's games

Wigan 21-20 Warrington

Wigan skipper Andy Farrell scored the winning drop-goal seconds from time to celebrate his comeback after a three-month injury lay-off in dramatic style.

Warrington looked set to take the points when Lee Briers knocked over two late drop-goals but Farrell levelled it with a penalty before stealing the points with a superb field goal.

Wigan: 21
Tries: Lam, Briscoe 2.
Goals: Farrell 4
Drop Goals: Farrell
Warrington: 20
Tries: Domic, Grose, Briers
Goals: Briers 3.
Drop Goals: Briers 2

Warrington cashed in on brilliant kicking from skipper Briers to lead 12-6 at half-time, with Sid Domic and Brent Grose touching down either side of a score from Wigan scrum-half Adrian Lam.

Shaun Briscoe made up for an earlier mistake by grabbing two tries in the space of three minutes for Wigan.

Warrington hit back when Briers darted over for their third try and the conversion made it 18-18.

Two Briers drop goals edged Warrington in front before Farrell levelled it with a penalty and then hit the crucial one-pointer to grab the win.

Wigan: Briscoe, Carney, Aspinwall, Hodgson, Ainscough, Graham, Lam, O'Connor, Newton, Sculthorpe, Johnson, Tickle, Farrell.
Replacements: Cassidy, Bibey, M. Smith, Hock.

Warrington: Penny, Appo, Sibbit, Grose, Smyth, Briers, Burns, Fozzard, Clarke, Hilton, Domic, Wainwright, Guisset.
Replacements: Gleeson, P. Wood, Noone, Stevens.

Referee: Richard Silverwood (Dewsbury).

Wakefield 22-18 Halifax

Jamie Rooney produced an impressive display as Wakefield condemned bottom club Halifax to a ninth successive defeat.

The former Featherstone stand-off combined superbly with veteran half-back Brad Davis to lay on all three of his side's tries.

Wakefield: 22
Tries: Davis 2, Newlove
Goals: Rooney 5
Halifax: 18
Tries: Penkywicz, Finn, L Greenwood
Goals: Dorahy, Donlan, Finn

Rooney also kicked five goals from six attempts as Wakefield recorded back-to-back wins for the first time in more than two years.

Davis scored the Wildcats' first try after 17 minutes and Richard Newlove added another after Sean Penkywicz had touched down for Halifax.

Davis and Rooney combined again on 62 minutes but the visitors grabbed consolation tries from substitute Liam Finn and winger Lee Greenwood.

Injury-hit Halifax are now four points adrift and look firm favourites to go down with just a third of the season gone.

Wakefield: Holland, Sovatabua, Ellis, Newlove, Halpenny, Rooney, Davis, Korkidas, March, Hood, Slattery, Field, Knott.
Replacements: Seers, Jeffries, Wrench, Snitch.

Halifax: Finnerty, L. Greenwood, Donlan, Clayton, Frew, Dorahy, Penkywicz, Hobson, Lawless, Davidson, Cruckshank, Brocklehurst, Moana.
Replacements: Halliwell, Finn, Birchall, Seu Seu.

Referee: Robert Connolly (Wigan).

St Helens 62-16 London

Keiron Cunningham and Mick Higham helped themselves to hat-tricks as St Helens returned to winning ways with an 11-try demolition of London at Knowsley Road.

The Tetley's Super League champions, who suffered a shock defeat by Wakefield last week, overpowered the lacklustre Broncos to claim only their third win in eight matches.

St Helens: 62
Tries: Cunningham 3, Sculthorpe, Smith, Higham 3, Wilkin, Bennett, Gleeson
Goals: Sculthorpe 7, Long 2
London: 16
Tries: Peters, Stephenson
Goals: Thorman 4

Cunningham began the onslaught with his first two tries since returning from a long injury lay-off after London's Chris Thorman had knocked over an early penalty.

Thorman pulled back two more points after 17 minutes but Cunningham set up a try for Paul Sculthorpe and Darren Smith added a fourth on 23 minutes.

Higham came off the bench to score another just before the break after Steve Hall had been sin-binned for holding down Chris Joynt.

Dom Peters touched down for London just before the break but Jon Wilkin grabbed his first try for Saints after the restart.

Francis Stephenson scored again for the visitors but Mike Bennett, Gleeson, Higham (twice) and Cunningham cashed in as London's defence crumbled.

St Helens: Wellens, Albert, Gleeson, Newlove, Stewart, Sculthorpe, Long, Britt, Cunningham, Joynt, Bennett, Wilkin, Smith.
Replacements: Higham, Gardner, Stankevitch, Ward.

London: Hall, Purdham, Toshack, Jackson, Peters, Thorman, Moran, Bawden, Peden, Marshall, Retchless, Kennedy, Dymock.
Replacements: Budworth, Martin, Stephenson, Gallagher.

Referee: Ronnie Laughton (Barnsley).

BBC Five Live's Dave Woods
"Another extraordinary finish to a game involving Wigan"

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport