Sacked London Broncos player Dom Peters will not appeal against a 12-month ban for steroid abuse, but says he finds the results of the drugs test "inconceivable".
Peters had the remaining 12 months of his contract terminated by the Broncos after receiving the ban earlier this week.
The Lancashire Origin player tested positive for stanozolol, the drug used by shamed sprinter Ben Johnson.
Peters, in a statement released through his agent, said he had never knowingly taken drugs but accepted the ban.
The statement read: "Dominic Peters accepts that a tiny quantity of a banned
substance was found in a urine sample that he provided.
"He does not wish to cast aspersions on either the process of testing or the calibre of those that tested the sample but, nevertheless, he finds the result inconceivable.
"Dominic is adamant that he never knowingly took any such substance but, faced with the evidence against him, he has no choice but to accept the judgement of the Rugby Football League.
"He similarly accepts that the London Broncos had no option but to terminate his contract."
He is now forced to re-build his career and more importantly his life
Statement issued on behalf of Dom Peters
But he added that Peters planned to return to the sport when he has served his suspension.
"An episode such as this would have a devastating effect on any young and gifted sportsman and certainly Dominic is no exception," the statement continued.
"He is now forced to re-build his career and more importantly his life but is determined to do this for the sake of himself and his young family.
"To do so he will need to put this horrendous experience behind him and focus on the difficult months that lie ahead.
"In 12 months Dominic will be able to return to the sporting arena and it is his aim to once again compete in Super League - the sport he loves."
Peters was one of three players to receive bans from the Rugby Football League's Doping Control Panel on Tuesday.