Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 12 November 2005, 20:11 GMT
Great Britain 38-12 New Zealand
Brian Carney streaks past Kiwi Clinton Toopi to score his second try
Great Britain (26) 38
Tries: Fielden, Deacon, Carney 2, Walker, Senior
Goals: Deacon 2, Harris 5
New Zealand (0) 12
Tries: Webster 2, Lauitiiti

Great Britain kept their Tri-Nations hopes alive with a brilliant victory over New Zealand in Huddersfield.

The Lions, who needed to win to have any chance of reaching the final, ran in six tries as they recorded their first win of the tournament.

Winger Brian Carney scored two of them as the home side opened up a 38-4 lead with just nine minutes left.

New Zealand hit back with two late touchdowns to reduce the advantage but could not deny Brian Noble's side.

Britain must now beat Australia by at least three points in Hull next week to earn a place in the final on 26 November.

But they will have to do it without Paul Deacon, who has been ruled out of the rest of the competition after suffering a serious nose injury.

The Bradford scrum-half was struck in the face by Nigel Vagana midway through the first half.

The Lions got off to the perfect start against New Zealand, taking the lead after just six minutes when Stuart Fielden went over from close range.

Deacon added a second when he left the Kiwi defence standing with a marvellous sidestep and spin on 14 minutes.

From being nowhere near and no hopers, which I think was one of the headlines in the papers, we've now got some hope
Lions coach Brian Noble

Carney, much maligned following a poor display in the first game against the Kiwis a fortnight ago, raced in for the first of his two tries on 26 minutes.

He then stormed home from long range seven minutes later but his celebrations were short-lived as he immediately left the field with a hamstring injury.

Iestyn Harris kept up the momentum as he made it 26-0 at the break with a penalty.

And when he converted Chev Walker's try three minutes into the second half, the Lions looked set for a crushing victory.

Winger Jake Webster reduced the lead only for Keith Senior to extend it again.

But Webster's second score and Ali Lauitiiti's late surge for the line took a little of the shine off what was a stunning win for Great Britain, who had lost their first two games.

Great Britain: Wellens, Carney, Gleeson, Senior, Pryce, Harris, Deacon, Fielden, Cunningham, Morley, Peacock, Johnson, Ellis.
Replacements: Higham, Walker, Thackray, Horne.

New Zealand: Webb, Webster, Hape, Toopi, Vatuvei, N. Vagana, Jones, Rauhihi, Tony, Wiki, Kidwell, Solomona, Guttenbiel.
Replacements: Faiumu, Asotasi, Anderson, Lauitiiti.

Referee: Tim Manders (Australia).

Highlights: Great Britain 38-12 New Zealand

Interview: Great Britain coach Brian Noble

Interview: New Zealand coach Brian McClennan

Interview: Great Britain's Iestyn Harris

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport