Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Rugby League: Challenge Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Super League 
Challenge Cup 
Ashes Series 
World Cup 2000 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Sunday, 10 February, 2002, 19:01 GMT
Villeneuve march on
Rochdale's Paul Davidson gets dumped to the earth
Rochdale failed to get the better of Leigh
French side Villeneuve overcame the sending-off of Laurent Carrasco to beat York 17-8 in the fourth round of tje Kellogg's Nutri-Grain Challenge Cup.

Daniel Vergniol scored the first try of the match for the visitors, with Laurent Frayssinous converting and then notching a brace of penalties before Carrasco was dismissed before half-time for elbowing.

A try from Brock Mueller after 55 minutes - converted by Frayssinous who also scored a late drop goal - killed off York, who scored through a Scott Yeaman try which Jamie Benn converted to add to his earlier penalty.

Leigh edged a titanic battle at Spotland with a 24-20 win over Rochdale.

Rochdale's Sean Roper
Sean Roper goes on a run for Rochdale
Centurions scored the opening try, Liam Bretherton diving in at the corner, only for Rochdale second-rower Paul Smith to respond with a touchdown.

Leigh's Willie Swann thencapitalised on an error to restore the visitors' advantage before James Bunyan levelled the scores at 14-14 just before half-time.

Leigh dominated in the second period and an Adam Bristow try gave them the lead before Simon Svabic intercepted a David Stephenson pass and ran clear to score.

Hornets narrowed the gap to four points when Danny Wood touched down but it was too little too late.

French Cup holders Union Treiziste Catalane beat Chorley Lynx 20-6 in Lancashire.

France international Renaud Guigue chipped in with two tries after Patrice Gomez had scored the opening touchdown.

Chorley, who had taken the lead through Liam Jones' penalty, fought back with a try from full-back Chris Ramsdale early in the second half.

I was very impressed with Barrow right across the board... but we knew our strength would show in the end
Steve Anderson

Hull Kingston Rovers relied on a try hat-trick from full-back Alex Godfrey as they won 31-24 at Featherstone.

Jimmy Walker and Chris Charles - who also landed five goals - crossed the line for Hull while Richard Newlove (two), Neil Lowe and Nathan Graham scored Featherstone's tries, Jamie Rooney kicking four goals.

Workington strolled into the next round with a 24-2 win at Hunslet.

Early tries from Kevin Hetherington and Steve McGrady gave Workington a fine start before two tries from substitute Stuart Hoyles and one from Graeme Lewthwaite sealed the win.

Whitehaven were forced to battle hard to earn a 16-8 home win over Dewsbury despite David Seeds' first-half brace of tries.

We are in the hat for the next round and I think you have to give a lot of credit to St Gaudens
Halifax coach
Steve Linnane

Marc Jackson scored Whitehaven's third try in the second half with Paul O'Neil kicking two conversions. Davide Longo and Adrian Flynn got Dewsbury's tries, both unconverted.

Halifax Blue Sox did little to live up to their Super League status as they defeated part-time French side St Gaudens 48-26.

Halifax had been trailing 10-0 after six minutes but eventually rallied to make their way into Monday's draw for the fifth round.

"As a coach I wasn't that impressed with the performance," said Blue Sox coach Steve Linnane.

"But we are in the hat for the next round and I think you have to give a lot of credit to St Gaudens. They had nothing to lose and were a credit to French rugby league."

St Gaudens overturned the form book in the opening exchanges before conceding a total of nine Blue Sox tries.

Warrington Wolves had to wait until the 52nd minute to break the deadlock in their 10-0 win over Barrow.

Paul Davidson failed to find his way through Leigh's defence often enough
Leigh got to grips with Rochdale's Davidson
Darren Burns touched down his own chip kick to put the visitors into the lead but Barrow should have already been ahead by that stage.

Mike Whitehead was the guilty party, failing to pass to Cliff Beverley for a definite score.

Five minutes Lee Briers later supplied the telling ball for Warrington.

His chip ahead was gathered by Dave Kidwell who dived on the ball for the afternoon's second try.

Widnes made light of Swinton, winning 54-0, while Waisala Sovatabua and Neil Law combined to seal a 26-6 victory for Wakefield over Sheffield at the Don Valley Stadium.

London Broncos were made to work for a 26-6 victory over Batley, a side they have beaten three times in the last five years of the competition.

Challenge Cup fourth round results:

Barrow 0-10 Warrington
Batley 6-26 London
Castleford 19-6 Salford
Chorley Lynx 6-20 Union Treiziste Catalane
Doncaster 30-10 Huddersfield
Featherstone 24-31 Hull Kingston Rovers
Hunslet 2-24 Workington
Oldham 6-40 St Helens
Rochdale 20-24 Leigh
Sheffield 6-26 Wakefield
St Gaudens 26-48 Halifax
Swinton 0-54 Widnes
Whitehaven 16-8 Dewsbury
York 8-17 Villeneuve

Links to more Challenge Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Challenge Cup stories

^^ Back to top