BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 21:08 GMT, Friday, 9 September 2011 22:08 UK

Hull FC 12-34 Warrington Wolves

Hull (6) 12
Tries: Westerman 2
Westerman 2
Warrington (28) 34
Tries: Riley 2, Atkins, M Monaghan, Bridge, J Monaghan
Goals: Bridge 4, Briers

Chris Riley and Ryan Atkins
Chris Riley (left) and fellow scorer Ryan Atkins embrace after putting Warrington ahead against Hull

Warrington sealed the Super League Leaders' Shield with a 34-12 victory against Hull at the KC Stadium.

Five first-half tries, including two from wing Chris Riley, built a winning platform, Ryan Atkins, Michael Monaghan and Chris Bridge also crossing.

Hull enjoyed more reward in the second half when Joe Westerman, scorer of all the Black and Whites' points, bagged his second converted try.

But Joel Monaghan's score wrapped up a deserved win for Warrington.

Victory for the Wire means that last season's Challenge Cup winners have effectively swapped trophies with last season's winners of the League Leaders' Shield.

As to whether the Wolves can also emulate Wigan by going on to claim the main prize at Old Trafford in four weeks' time, Warrington will now go into the play-offs as favourites, starting against Huddersfield in next weekend's semi-final at the Halliwell Jones.

As for Hull, they will be on the road next weekend, either with a short trip to Leeds or a much longer trip to Perpignan and they could yet be overtaken for seventh spot by Hull KR if their city rivals beat Crusaders on Saturday evening.

Hull, who had lost captain Craig Fitzgibbon with his career-ending ankle injury, came into the game on a run of three straight wins hoping to secure a favourable play-off draw.

But they were up against a Warrington side which, having humbled Challenge Cup winners Wigan 39-12 the previous weekend, looked odds on to top the table - and that's how it proved.

After both sides traded completed sets, a packed KC Stadium witnessed Warrington press an early advantage with their first try through Atkins.

The England centre wrestled the ball from Joe Westerman before scampering clear despite the attentions of Sam Obst, who to make matters worse limped off with a hamstring injury.

Bridge added the extras but, just minutes later, Hull were level as Richard Horne offloaded to Westerman after good work from Danny Houghton, and the loose forward sidestepped his way to the line for a quick reply, which he duly converted himself.

Warrington's best ever Super League finish prior to this season came when they finished third in 2010

The try perked Hull, in particular the busy Westerman, who was causing problems with a string of testing bombs, and only last-gasp visiting defence kept Tom Briscoe and Houghton from putting them ahead.

However the first-half turned when Horne was called offside amid a Warrington set, Michael Monaghan was quick to tap, Richie Myler worked the play from right to left and, after Atkins' offload, Riley raced in at the corner to restore the Wolves' lead.

Monaghan, who sparkled in last Sunday's win against Wigan, then got himself on the scoresheet again with a dart over from dummy half, and a combination of Simon Grix, Atkins and Riley added a fourth try.

Hull continued to press for a route back into the game, and had excellent field position when a loose pass was snapped up by Wolves centre Matt King inside his own 10-metre line.

From the resulting play-the-ball Brett Hodgson raced through a snoozing Hull defence before feeding Bridge, who streaked unopposed to the line.

After the try-heavy opening period, the second half took a while to reignite, largely due to imposing defence by the visitors.

Hull were finally rewarded for their efforts just over the hour mark when Westerman pounced for his second try, bursting onto an offload from Horne to score before reducing the deficit with a second successful kick.

But Warrington re-established their dominance when Atkins and Lee Briers created the opening for Joel Monaghan to join his brother on the scoresheet for the second week running.


Hull FC coach Richard Agar told BBC Radio Humberside:

"When we look back at the tape there will be some disappointment in how we conceded the tries.

"There were some erratic and poor individual efforts that have probably cost us four tries in the first half.

"That put too much daylight between the sides and no matter how hard we tried we just didn't take our chances."

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"To be named as the most consistent team throughout the year is a great achievement.

"We've come a long way as a club. We've finished number one in defence and attack. I'm proud of everyone at the club.

"We want to keep our feet on the ground. We're proud of it and there's not much silverware on offer, but there's a long road to go."


Hull: Phelps; Whiting, Turner, Yeaman, T Briscoe; Horne, Obst; O'Meley, Houghton, Moa, Manu, Westerman, Washbrook.

Replacements: Radford, Lauaki, Dowes, Sharp.

Warrington: Hodgson; J Monaghan, King, Atkins, Riley; Briers, Myler; Cooper, M Monaghan, Carvell, Anderson, Grix, Bridge.

Replacements: Clarke, Harrison, Solomona, Blythe.

Attendance: 10,845.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Print Sponsor

see also
Head coach Agar to leave Hull FC
06 Sep 11 |  Hull
Castleford 18-50 Hull
03 Sep 11 |  Rugby League
Warrington 39-12 Wigan
04 Sep 11 |  Rugby League
Warrington 10-24 Hull FC
25 Apr 11 |  Rugby League
Rugby League on the BBC
15 Oct 10 |  Rugby League
Rugby league commentaries
03 Apr 10 |  Rugby League

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites