BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 17:30 GMT, Saturday, 23 July 2011 18:30 UK

Warrington 24-44 Wigan

Warrington (16) 24
Tries: King 2, Myler 2, Solomona
Hodgson 3

Wigan (22) 44
Tries: Richards 2, Charnley 2, Hansen, S Tomkins, Coley, O'Loughlin
Richards 6

Wigan's Pat Richards celebrates

Highlights - Wigan victorious in Challenge Cup try-fest

Challenge Cup holders Warrington's hopes of a third straight Wembley win were shattered by a stunning display from Super League champions Wigan.

After going 22-0 up inside the first 24 minutes through Harrison Hansen, Sam Tomkins, Andy Coley and Pat Richards, Wigan then got stung themselves.

Warrington brought it back to 22-16 by half-time, but never hit the front.

Wigan made the last four with further tries from Richards, Josh Charnley (2) and skipper Sean O'Loughlin.

The result was especially rough luck on outgoing Aussie winger Matt King, who scored two stunning tries.

Home scrum-half Richie Myler also crossed twice, while the game turned on the loss of David Solomona, led off with a knee injury following Andy Coley's tackle shortly after he had scored Warrington's fourth try to bring them within two points at 22-20.

O'Loughlin praises 'special' Wigan display

Warrington coach Tony Smith was angered by Coley's tackle. "He's not good and I am not happy," he said. "I have been warning people about those sort of tackles for a long time. We are going to lose a special player out of our team and our sport for quite some time."

But the officiating team saw nothing wrong and, without the destructive Solomona, Wigan went on to complete a double revenge mission.

They were beaten at the semi-final stage two seasons ago when Warrington won 39-26 to set up the first of their successive Wembley finals.

And Warrington also hammered Wigan 24-6 at the DW Stadium when the two sides last met in Super League combat back in March.

But Wigan have rallied well since then and went into the game top of Super League, a point clear of Warrington, who were without two key players in Lee Briers and Adrian Morley.

Warrington shaded the early stages, despite the shock pre-match loss of Briers and the continued absence of captain Morley, but Wigan then stunned the hosts by scoring four tries inside 15 rapturous minutes for the visiting fans.

I have been warning people about those sort of tackles for a long time. We are going to lose a special player out of our team and our sport for quite some time

Warrington coach Tony Smith on David Solomona's knee injury

Thomas Leuluai's break set up the first for Hansen before, almost straight from the restart, Tomkins spotted a gap to race 80 yards to the line for the try of the match.

Wigan scored their third on 17 minutes when Coley evaded a missed tackle to bulldoze over from close range.

And, on 24 minutes, it was 22-0 when, sparked by George Carmont's quick hands, Richards went in at the left corner.

Warrington's response, on 28 minutes, when King went in at the left corner, triggered a spirited response from the home side. And King was again involved when Myler both started and finished the move that brought Warrington's second try four minutes later.

Three minutes before the break, Mick Monaghan's run set up Myler for a second, Brett Hodgson landing a second successive conversion to reduce the half-time deficit to six points. And the comeback was all but complete when Solomona thundered over two minutes after the restart.

But Hodgson again failed with the touchline kick and, six minutes later, the visitors had a two-score advantage once more when Richards, who also kicked six goals, bagged his second try.

2009 Warrington 39-26 Wigan (semi-final, Widnes)
2004 Warrington 18-30 Wigan (semi-final, Widnes)
1992 Wigan 14-0 Warrington (round 2)
1990 Warrington 14-36 Wigan (final, Wembley)
1989 Warrington 6-13 Wigan (semi-final, Maine Road)

Joel Monaghan's interception then set up the attacking platform from which King outmuscled Josh Charnley to score his second try.

But what had now turned into a scintillating see-saw contest tilted back Wigan's way again when Charnley instantly made amends by scoring himself.

Brett Finch's high kick was cleverly knocked back by Joel Tomkins at full stretch and Paul Deacon sent Chamnley in at the right corner. And, four minutes later, the alert Charnley pounced on a loose ball to go three quarters of the length of the field - to take his tally to 18 tries for the season.

Wigan finally put the result beyond doubt when skipper Sean O'Loughlin, the only survivor of the Cherry and Whites' last Challenge Cup triumph in 2002, tidied up to put the icing on the cake.


Smith hurt by Challenge Cup defeat

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"They got off to a flyer and not many teams get their way back into that against Wigan. We gave ourselves a chance to get back into the game but they were the better team today and looked sharper.

"We would have loved to have gone back to that special place down south but it is somebody else's turn this year.

"On the positive side, we can really go for the other part of it now without distractions. We would have loved to have gone through and done it the hard way - going to Wembley and then fronting up for the play-off finals. Now we can just focus on Super League."

Wigan coach Michael Maguire:

"It was a very pleasing start. We focused on that a lot and managed to get a few points on the board which helped us to control the game at the back end.

"I was pleased for Josh Charnley scoring the tries. He got caught out a couple of times but that was in the first half and in the second half he did his job.

"For a kid like that to bounce back and come up with a try like that, it is an outstanding effort."


Warrington: Hodgson; J Monaghan, Blythe, Atkins, King; Bridge, Myler; Wood, M Monaghan, Carvell, Anderson, Westwood, Grix.

Replacements: Higham, Clarke, Cooper, Solomona.

Wigan: S Tomkins; Charnley, J Tomkins, Carmont, Richards; Finch, Deacon; Coley, Leuluai, Lima, Hansen, Hoffman, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: McIlorum, Prescott, Mossop, Hock.

Attendance: 13,105.

Referee: Richard Silverwood (Dewsbury).

The Challenge Cup semi-final draw will be made live on BBC 2 immediately after the conclusion of Sunday's televised Hull v Leeds quarter-final.

Print Sponsor

see also
Wigan to meet Saints in Cup semis
25 Jul 11 |  Rugby League
Harlequins 24-54 Warrington
16 Jul 11 |  Rugby League
Wigan 48-6 Wakefield
15 Jul 11 |  Rugby League
Warrington 112-0 Swinton
20 May 11 |  Rugby League
Bradford 22-26 Wigan
22 May 11 |  Rugby League
Wigan 26-39 Warrington
08 Aug 09 |  Rugby League
Wigan 30-18 Warrington
18 Apr 04 |  Challenge Cup
Rugby League on the BBC
15 Oct 10 |  Rugby League

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites